Upwind with staysail

paul.cooper74@...

An Amel-owner told me that using the "Trinkette", or staysail, on a SM gains 5-6 degrees of upwind performance.  Can anyone verify this claim?

Paul C.

still looking

Alan Leslie

Whether you can oint higher to the wind will depend largely on where the sail is sheeted. If you have a track inboard of the standing rigging then it is possible that you can point higher. If in the case of our trinquette it is sheeted to the rail, then no.
We use the trinquette in heavy weather, when close to the wind is neither comfortable nor necessary / possible, and when reaching with the genoa.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

greatketch@...

Paul,

That... seems unlikely.

My boat’s best VMG under normal conditions comes when she points at about 37 deg AWA, and 50 deg TWA with a standard Genoa.  A claim of 31 deg AWA with a commensurate increase in VMG, seems far fetched for a SM, I do not believe the keel design will support that without stalling.

But being an engineer, I like to hear numbers.  How high does the person making this claim think a standard rig will point, and what is the claim for performance with a staysail? And are we talking about pointing by measuring apparent wind angle, or true wind angle?  How about leeway?

Talking pointing angle or tacking angle is a place to start, but upwind performance is really about VMG over the ground.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Big Grand Cat, Abacos, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <paul.cooper74@...> wrote :

An Amel-owner told me that using the "Trinkette", or staysail, on a SM gains 5-6 degrees of upwind performance.  Can anyone verify this claim?

Paul C.

still looking

Dave_Benjamin

I like to look at Vmg and not worry about pointing angle as much as some people do. I've seen some people focus so much on pointing that their boat is going much slower than it would if they bore off 3-6 degrees. The keel on these Amels is a limiting factor and will hydro-dynamically stall while a sail sheeted close to centerline will still be powered. The result of course is the boat is going sideways.