Topics

Jib Halyard Sheave

Duane Siegfri

Does anyone know the size of the jib halyard sheave at the top of the mast?

I was up there doing some work and noticed that an edge (on the outside circumference) of the sheave had cracked off over about a 20 degree zone on one side of the sheave.  I was lucky that the broken section was visible...

It appears easy to replace.  There is a diamond shaped plate about 25mm long on the stbd side of the mast that is riveted in place.  This plate captures the axle the sheave rides on.  Drill out the rivets, pull the axle (don't drop anything in the process!) and replace the sheave.

It would help to have the correct sheave on hand, if someone has that info.  I searched the photos and files section and couldn't find it.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

mfmcgovern@...

Duane,

I had both the genoa and ballooner sheaves replaced when I bought my SM this past July before I sailed it up to the Chesapeake.  If I were you, I would change them both while you are up there doing it.  The boat was in Le Marin Marina in Martinique when I bought her so I just had Amel Martinique order the sheaves for me.   I checked the copy of my invoice and unfortunately all it said was "réas de tete de mat" or "masthead sheaves" so I do not have the part number or size to give you.  I can tell you that they cost 29.10 Euro each.  I would contact Maud in La Rochelle or Jean Collin in Martinique.  I might still have the old ones on the boat.  I will have a look this weekend when I am there and will report back if I do.

Mark
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Ian Park

For info.
Jean Collin is now in AMEL Hyeres. Albany has taken over in Le Marin.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN 96 - Guadaloupe

Duane Siegfri

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Duane

pepinoamel <no_reply@...>

Hi Mark,

I'm just having correspondence with Maud in La Rochelle regarding the masthead sheaves.  I'd like to order replacements for all the sheaves and Maud is asking for photos which I don't have.  I'd like to avoid going up the mast just for this.  Have you been able to locate your old ones and if so, could you post a picture with dimensions if possible.  I believe there are 3 sheaves on the main mast, 1 for the mainsail, 1 for the jib and 1 for the spare halyard.  The mizzen probably only has 1 for the mainsail.  Do you know if they're all the same dimensions?

Many thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SY Pepino SM381

Greece

mfmcgovern@...

Gerhard,

Unfortunately, I could not find my old main mast sheaves to take measurements.  I either threw them out or they got misplaced in the frenzy to prepare the boat for the long passage from Martinique to our home port in Deale, MD USA.  I got my replacement sheaves through Amel Caraibes in Martinique.  I was told that they had to order them from Amel HG in La Rochelle.  I was not in the country at the time and I was not directly involved in the purchase, so I really do not know how they were procured.  However, I do know I was charged 29.10 Euros for each sheave.

My SM Cara only has two (2) sheaves on the Main Mast as Cara does not have a spare halyard rigged. These two sheaves for the Main and the Jib appear to have the same Outside Diameter.  I would guess that they have the same Inside Diameter because they are installed on the same shaft.  However, the Main Halyard is 10mm OD and the Jib Halyard is 12mm OD.  I am not familiar with the Mizzen Mast sheaves.

I have attached two different pictures of the sheaves installed at the top of the Main Mast.  One is the new sheaves after installation and the other one is the old sheaves taken during the survey.

I hope this helps and hopefully the next person that gets replacement sheave or removes their old ones will post pics and measurements for the rest of us!

Mark

---In amelyachtowners@..., <no_reply@...> wrote :

Hi Mark,

I'm just having correspondence with Maud in La Rochelle regarding the masthead sheaves.  I'd like to order replacements for all the sheaves and Maud is asking for photos which I don't have.  I'd like to avoid going up the mast just for this.  Have you been able to locate your old ones and if so, could you post a picture with dimensions if possible.  I believe there are 3 sheaves on the main mast, 1 for the mainsail, 1 for the jib and 1 for the spare halyard.  The mizzen probably only has 1 for the mainsail.  Do you know if they're all the same dimensions?

Many thanks.

Gerhard Hoffmann

SY Pepino SM381

Greece

pepinoamel <no_reply@...>

Hi Mark & Bill R and all,

Thanks for the photos Mark, I've forwarded one on to Maud and she's checking now to see if she can find them.  I have the same set up with two sheaves.  The third sheave I was talking about is for the halyard for the mainsail.  Has anybody ever changed the sheave for the mainsail halyard?  I believe there might be two - one over the furler foil to accept the halyard on the way up and another one in the middle of the mast to guide the halyard down.  Has anybody any information on this?

Thanks.

Gerhard

SY Pepino SM381

Greece