Topics

"Bird Cage" TV Antenna

Duane Siegfri

Just an FYI -

Our TV reception has always been terrible, to the point we don't bother turning it on.  While installing a new masthead wind/weather station I removed it, and disassembled it on deck. After taking off the white plastic shroud I found the guts completely rusted out.  There is a mild steel plate inside that the "bird cage" is connected to, and that plate is then connected to the antenna wire.  With the mild steel plate completely rusted there is no connection, thus no antenna.  After all, it is 12 years old in a marine environment.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

Marco Mancini

Dear Duane,
I have seen only now your message. We have the same difficulty in recieving the DTV  tv signal also mooring  in places where the tv signal is very good.
I Confirm  the possible shortcut on the head of the mast and the huge signal dispersion In fact  I noticed that one we switch on  the main mast navigation lights and the while the tv  is on we have the termic switch of the lights that swich off.
Do you have a picture of the masterhead you mentioned .?
 I have understood from your email that this cover contains the connection with the antenna and the rusted part is inside and  not visible  from a simple visual inspection on the mast head. Am I right ?
marco
Desiree SM 304

Duane Siegfri

Marco,

The corrosion was not visible until I dismounted the antenna.  It was two years ago, so I'm not sure about possible visible clues, but it wasn't obvious to me at the time.  If you're not getting reception though, my experience says replace the antenna.

Good luck,
Duane

Marco Mancini

 Duane,
thanks for your answer and suggestion. I will definitely change the antenna.
I hope to meet you sailing
cheers
Marco

Il giorno 03 mag 2020, alle ore 10:47, Duane Siegfri via groups.io <carlylelk@...> ha scritto:

Marco,

The corrosion was not visible until I dismounted the antenna.  It was two years ago, so I'm not sure about possible visible clues, but it wasn't obvious to me at the time.  If you're not getting reception though, my experience says replace the antenna.

Good luck,
Duane

michael winand

I had the same birdcage tv antenna, it had the same issues with corrosion in the base,