ENGINE OVERHEATING ISSUE

JOHN HAYES

Good morning all,

My 1991 Santorin has a Perkins Prima 50 hp diesel of about 13000 hours. It runs like a sewing machine, has been serviced with new oil and filter every 100 hours and has a written engine log.

Twice in the last 300 hours the engine has overheated. The problem is that the spline drive bolted on to a drive cam on the top of the engine is wearing away in the shaft of the Jabsco water pump which drives the raw water cooling system.

The result is the spline is being chewed up and ends up rotating in the shaft of the water pump so that the water circulation stops because the water pump shaft is not rotating and the engine overheats.

Bugger! The pump and spline cost $1500 to replace … and I’m now on my third pump and spline.

There is no detectable movement in the drive cam ………..

There is another identical motor in another boat in our marina with the same issue.

Has anyone out there encountered this issue and identified its cause?

John Hayes

Nga Waka

Wellington NZ

From: on behalf of "reswinemar@... [amelyachtowners]"
Date: Tuesday, 17 April 2018 at 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Water coming through below rudder quadrant

Hey Guys

Thanks.

I think the email got chopped off by the site algorithms. Should I assume it's amel.fr or something like that.

Bill,

If you're up this way and we can help you out or just share a toddy let us know.

We're planning on heading to Cape Breton's Bras'Dor Lakes in mid August then back down to Mahone Bay in late August.

You can reach me any time at reswinemar at gmail dot com. (Let me know if that fools the algorithms;-)

Cheers

Rick