Topics

Strange 24DC leakage

rossirossix4

We  had the same.  Comes and goes.  Eventually we discovered it was dependent on another boat near us--  it would happen when the other boat docked andhooked up to shore power, then disappear when it left.  Months later, in another location it happened again.  I have had the feeling we were ending up detecting a leak in a nearby boat (boats at most marinas share the same ground, even use your zincs if they don't have them).  I have no idea how this is possible, maybe some of you with more electrical knowlege do!  We also have a galvanic isolator with detection as well and no correlation with its indicators.  The only time our galvanic isolator showed a leak was in a questionable marina in Greece.  Tests with a volt meter showed the galvanic isolator was solving the problem even though indicating a fault.  The Amel indicator showed no fault. BTW the addition of a galvanic isolator slowed our rudder zinc loss to near zero.  

Bob and Suzanne, KAIMI SM 429 In the water in Malta

PS Adm Bill--should I post my Amel WOB results?

ofer magen

Hi to all. 
I have this fenomena too. 
I traced it to the forward sail locker. There is always a lot of humidity there. Last time I was on the boat I dried all the electrical parts and sprayed it with corrosion x and greas. 
Light went off. 
I hope it will stay like this for a while... 

I hope it helps, 

Ofer Magen
Alba Amel54 160
Cyprus 

luvkante

Same with me! Happens SOMETIMES, never found the reason.

Martin
AMEL 54 #149 CHIARA

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Thomas and Bill,
I had the same problem,  measured the current over the indicatorlight,  disconnected all wires (negativ and positiv) of all equipment in contact with salt/waterpumps. I could not find the fault and had to leave the boat for several weeks. When I returned the test worked fine  - no Indikator light. This was 18 months ago-still no problems.
After this I check it daily, sign o.k.in the logbook. Minimum test before and after any work at the electric System.
Once I had a light on the tester,  when I made a HDMI connection between the TV and the Furuno Navnet.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Sv Garulfo

Hi everyone, 

Our DC leakage detector is showing a leak on the negative. I investigated any AC charger + DC USB potential issue as mentioned previously on the group and didn't find any culprit. 

However, it highlighted this strange fact: when I push the switch up to test for bad connection between negative and grounding, the light comes on and slowly goes off in about 3 seconds. If I test again, it doesn't come on. I need to wait for 10 , 15 minutes for it to 'recharge'. It looks like a capacitor discharging. 

Has anybody experienced this before? Does it give a clue to what could be the source of the leak?

Otherwise I'll start the usual investigation disconnecting everything from the batteries end.

Thanks in advance,

Fair winds 

Thomas

S\V GARULFO
Amel 54 #122
Saint Martin, FWI