Topics

Jib car removal

rettirc@...

Greetings Amelians,

I have searched old messages and cannot find how to remove the jib cars.  I need to replace the plastic sliders.

Car forward, runs into the lifeline upright and aft it runs into the chain plate where jib sheet block is located.

I am having trouble undoing screws holding down track.  I am thinking of getting an impact screw driver.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Shiels

"Jaygo". SM224

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Chris:

I just undertook removal of my jib sheet cars on my SM 2000 #335 for two reasons.  1. one of the plastic sliders was broken on the port side and 2. there was hurricane damage to the toe-rail on the starboard side.  In my opinion, Amel made an error in extending the track too far aft.  You never need the car back that far and even if you are able to remove the "stopper" bolt that is about 6 inches from the end of the track, the car will not come off the track as it hits the chainplate/lifting ring.   I was able to remove both of the bolts on my tracks, but then was still unable to remove the cars due to that interference.  So, I used an angle grinder and very carefully cut the top of the "T"  of the track on both sides of the vertical member for a distance of the length of the jib sheet car.  I radiuses the forward ends of the cut and dressed and filed the track for a finished look..  Now removal of the car is accomplished by removing the "stopper" bolt then sliding the car to the narrowed area of track and lifting upward.  I hope that makes sense.  It was a tedious project and I recommend placing protection of the fiberglass and areas of track you don't want to damage as slips with the angle grinder are bound to happen.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
In repairs at Island Marine, Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Showing the modification I made to the jib sheet car track to allow removal of the car.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Chris:

My original reply didn't post for some reason.  I recently did the modification to the rail (as show in the photo in my other post).

Amel clearly made an error in extending this track too far aft as there is no way to remove the car without modifying the track.  There is never any reason to run the car that far aft.

Even when the "stopper" bolt is removed the car runs into the chainplate/lifting ring, preventing it's removal.  The only way to remove the car is to cut the track with an angle grinder (at least that is how I did it), then radius and dress a section of the track that is the length of the car so that once the "stopper" bolt is removed the car can be slid aft and lifted from the track.

When grinding make sure to protect the toe-rail and areas of the track you don't desire to cut as slips with an angle grinder are in inevitable.

The plastic slides are available from Euro Marine Trading (USA), G30.40A PVC inserts 160 mm long  $18.25 set of 2 ea,  plus shipping

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
Currently Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico