Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

greatketch@...

According to my shop manual the maximum no-load speed is coded into the "setting code" on the injection pump.

The manual says:  
"A typical setting code is 2643H000CE/1/3200  In this example the maximum speed is 3200 rpm."
The setting code on my engine is 2643H058BE/1/5150  which would indicate the the correct no-load maximum speed is 5150 RPM.  

The code is stamped into a label on the side of the injection pump...  like the (hopefully) attached photo.

If yours is the same, I am not sure I see the problem yet..

Whenever you are checking the rotational speed of the engine for critical adjustments, be sure you do not trust the installed tachometer.  They can be wildly inaccurate.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Bill,

Thanks. That's really useful.  I find that in  neutral it is now idling at 800 revs, which seems high;  more importantly, it revs above 3,000--and that's without the throttle flat out.

Looking rather as though the pump now heads the list of usual suspects. Ouch. Still, just about everything else has been rebuilt , so I guess it was feeling left out.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens

From: amelyachtowners@... on behalf of greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]
Sent: 29 April 2018 16:31:11
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

Ian,

Mechanical diesel injection pumps are actually all governor controlled. The throttle is actually controlling the setting of the speed governor,  (sometimes called a "speed regulator") which in turn controls the volume of fuel delivered by the injection pump to deliver the amount of fuel needed to run the engine at the commanded speed.

On Bosch injections systems (like on the Volvo) the governor/regulator is internal to the injector pump, and like all the internal parts of the injection pump, it tends to be highly reliable. But if an engine can not control its speed under no load, it is a likely candidate for a problem.

On some engines the governor is a separate device. I did once work on an engine that had a separate governor that was badly clogged up with emulsified oil when water got into the crankcase... a very unhappy story...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmetto Point, Eleuthera, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote :

Bill,

Do you have the 78hp Volvo with a governor ?  Can you tell me how the governor works--and what might upset it ?

Ian

greatketch@...

Ian,

Mechanical diesel injection pumps are actually all governor controlled. The throttle is actually controlling the setting of the speed governor,  (sometimes called a "speed regulator") which in turn controls the volume of fuel delivered by the injection pump to deliver the amount of fuel needed to run the engine at the commanded speed.

On Bosch injections systems (like on the Volvo) the governor/regulator is internal to the injector pump, and like all the internal parts of the injection pump, it tends to be highly reliable. But if an engine can not control its speed under no load, it is a likely candidate for a problem.

On some engines the governor is a separate device. I did once work on an engine that had a separate governor that was badly clogged up with emulsified oil when water got into the crankcase... a very unhappy story...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Palmetto Point, Eleuthera, Bahamas

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote :

Bill,

Do you have the 78hp Volvo with a governor ?  Can you tell me how the governor works--and what might upset it ?

Ian

Bill,

Ian

Sent: 27 April 2018 09:23:23
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

Thanks, Bill,

Alas....in neutral the revs do what they oughta do.

I will have to risk  trying the local Volvo agent.

Incidentally, to anyone who has had Volvo work done near Athens, does Mantalas Kyriakos have a decent reputation ?      Anyone else ?

Ian

Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens, Greece

Sent: 26 April 2018 19:52:36
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

Ian,

Will the engine run at 2800 rpm unloaded (in netural)?

If NOT, the answer is not fuel starvation (because that would take very little fuel) but a possible problem with the injection pump or speed governor.

If YES, then...  I am not sure...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Somewhere around Eleuthera, Bahamas

Thanks, Bill,

Alas....in neutral the revs do what they oughta do.

I will have to risk  trying the local Volvo agent.

Incidentally, to anyone who has had Volvo work done near Athens, does Mantalas Kyriakos have a decent reputation ?      Anyone else ?

Ian

Pen Azen, SM 302, Athens, Greece

Sent: 26 April 2018 19:52:36
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Volvos.......

Ian,

Will the engine run at 2800 rpm unloaded (in netural)?

If NOT, the answer is not fuel starvation (because that would take very little fuel) but a possible problem with the injection pump or speed governor.

If YES, then...  I am not sure...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Somewhere around Eleuthera, Bahamas