From: amelliahona To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Fri, Apr 27, 2018 2:35 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Jib car removal

Hi Chris:

I just undertook removal of my jib sheet cars on my SM 2000 #335 for two reasons.  1. one of the plastic sliders was broken on the port side and 2. there was hurricane damage to the toe-rail on the starboard side.  In my opinion, Amel made an error in extending the track too far aft.  You never need the car back that far and even if you are able to remove the "stopper" bolt that is about 6 inches from the end of the track, the car will not come off the track as it hits the chainplate/lifting ring.   I was able to remove both of the bolts on my tracks, but then was still unable to remove the cars due to that interference.  So, I used an angle grinder and very carefully cut the top of the "T"  of the track on both sides of the vertical member for a distance of the length of the jib sheet car.  I radiuses the forward ends of the cut and dressed and filed the track for a finished look.. & nbsp;Now removal of the car is accomplished by removing the "stopper" bolt then sliding the car to the narrowed area of track and lifting upward.  I hope that makes sense.  It was a tedious project and I recommend placing protection of the fiberglass and areas of track you don't want to damage as slips with the angle grinder are bound to happen.

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000 #335
In repairs at Island Marine, Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Pat  I had the same thought as you, i.e. remove only one side.  Didn’t work, the “grip” of the car is so close tolerance that it can’t be rotated enough to slide off laterally from the remaining side of the “T”.  I incrementally whittled away at the sides of the “T” and found that only about 1/32 to 1/16th inch of the “T” top could be left in place on each side of the vertical web portion of the track.

Don’t forget to protect the gel coat & metal parts from slips of the grinder.  I used an angle grinder for bulk work & Dremmel tool cut off wheels & grinding bits for closer tolerance work, finishing off with hand files.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
 AMEL SM 2000 # 335

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hi Bill:

Yes I considered amputating the track but there are two anchor screws in the track aft of the bolt and I would have been left with discolored gelcoat and screw holes where the amputated track was. Additionally, I wondered if Amel knew something that I didn’t regarding structural strength so I chose to be minimally invasive.  Still it was an emotional challenge to cut into my boat like this.
I am thinking of trying to use some clear Alodine treatment on the raw edges of the aluminum for corrosion control.

Gary

Patrick McAneny

Gary, Thanks for getting back on that , I ordered the bearings from Euro Marine , they are now about $24 for a pair , still cheap in boat dollars.
Thanks,
Pat SM #123

Hi Pat  I had the same thought as you, i.e. remove only one side.  Didn’t work, the “grip” of the car is so close tolerance that it can’t be rotated enough to slide off laterally from the remaining side of the “T”.  I incrementally whittled away at the sides of the “T” and found that only about 1/32 to 1/16th inch of the “T” top could be left in place on each side of the vertical web portion of the track.

Don’t forget to protect the gel coat & metal parts from slips of the grinder.  I used an angle grinder for bulk work & Dremmel tool cut off wheels & grinding bits for closer tolerance work, finishing off with hand files.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
 AMEL SM 2000 # 335

Stephen Davis

Hi Pat,

I''m about to tackle the same job on my jib cars, and wondered if you had the part numbers of the bearings you purchased from Euro Marine.

Thanks,

Steve D.
Aloha SM 72

[...]

Steve, I got this from Gary it is , G30-40A PVC inserts 160mm long $12 each . My boat is a little younger than yours , I assumed my cars are the same as Gary's although I ordered without confirming this. I forget the hull # on Gary's boat.
Pat
SM#123

Hi Pat  I had the same thought as you, i.e. remove only one side.  Didn’t work, the “grip” of the car is so close tolerance that it can’t be rotated enough to slide off laterally from the remaining side of the “T”.  I incrementally whittled away at the sides of the “T” and found that only about 1/32 to 1/16th inch of the “T” top could be left in place on each side of the vertical web portion of the track.

Don’t forget to protect the gel coat & metal parts from slips of the grinder.  I used an angle grinder for bulk work & Dremmel tool cut off wheels & grinding bits for closer tolerance work, finishing off with hand files.

All the best,
Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
 AMEL SM 2000 # 335

Stephen Davis

Thanks for the info Pat. I do know there were 2 lengths of jib cars, but also don’t know when Amel switched to the slightly longer ones. I suspect it was after both of our boats were built. I had no idea on how I would ever get the cars off until I saw Gary Silver’s brilliant idea of cutting the track. Good luck on your project.

Steve
Aloha SM 72