[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Steering stiffness (but not from rudder) ?

smiles bernard

Thanks for this Bill.
It gives me confidence to have a go at dismantling the rack and pinion unit.
Looks like the SM has a very similar steering system
Another idea from James is that the clutch on the autopilot is not disengaging properly which would be an easier if potentially costly fix.

Does anyone know if and how the morse steering cables them selves are lubricated?

Thanks again?
Miles

On 27 Apr 2018, at 23:55, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Miles,

We haven't had any problem with the steering, but Harmonie's previous owners did.  You might find their blog post about the issue and the pictures helpful...

[Just noticed the blog posting address number after pasting it here...  I hope it isn't an omen for you!]

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Eleuthera, Bahamas

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Hi Miles,
I stripped down your steering when in Lanzarote. The rack is perfect and the problem is that one of the cables is stiff.
I left you a message on your mobile earlier if you would like more info.
Graham

smiles bernard

Thanks for this Graham and great to talk earlier

Looks like I’ll be dismantling the rack and pinion and trying to lube the troublesome cable

I’ve also sent an email to Amel on the very slim chance they still have a few buried in stores somewhere or as you suggested the Super Maramu cables and cable ends are the same just longer!

Failing that I might post a separate thread on the forum to see if anyone has had experience of sourcing new cables.

Thanks again for your help

Miles