NMEA 0183 wire color?

Duane Siegfri

I plan to connect the NMEA TX wires from my B&G Zeus 3 MFD to the Raymarine S3g Course Computer.  It's a bit confusing though, since B&G outputs to TX_A and TX_B and Raymarine has NMEA0183 connections noted "+" and "-".

I have one NMEA 0183 reference and they do not use + and - for wire designation since apparently there is no battery negative wire in the system.

Does anyone know if the TX_A wire connect to the "+" or "-" terminal on the S3g?

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

danielmfrey63@...

Duane

I connected the yellow wire of my Zeus 2 to the + of my S2G. And the blue wire of my Z2 to the - of the S2G.

Best - Daniel, SN64

Duane Siegfri

Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.  So A = Positive and B = Negative.

It can't hurt anything, if it doesn't work then I'll just reverse them.  I was thinking in terms of feeding the S3g Autopilot Computer the Apparent Wind Angle, did you also hook up the NMEA0183 "out" from the S3g?  I can't think of anything the network would want from the course computer.

Duane

danielmfrey63@...

Duane

My S2G is only getting "orders"... or in NMEA terms, it is only a listener, not a talker.

Best - Daniel

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

Duane,

We do the same: we took a couple of otherwise unused "out" wires from a B&G chartplotter and got them "in" to the Raymarine autopilot head.  This way, the Raytheon T-300 computer can sail to a wind angle, and the Raymarine autopilot head can then display water temperature, get the name of the waypoint to which we are navigating, calculate distance and time to waypoint, etc.

You will need to enable the B&G plotter to output NMEA, and enable only the NMEA sentences which the Raymarine can understand.  The more sentences you enable, the slower the NMEA bits, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,

Peregrinus
SM2K N. 350 (2002)
underway, Sardinia to Sicily