SM Prop Shaft Seal direction and Bush***RESPONSE TO *** IMPORTANT RE

Miles

Hello Jose,

I wonder what grease you are using.  I change my wearing out bearing  every 650 hours or so using the Amel pattern.  I have done this for 20 years and I have never had any leakage of any kind.  I use silicone grease as does Amel.  It is very water resistant and is clearly still present after 650 hours.   I don’t understand basing the change period on years rather than hours used.  After how many hours did you have the leaks?

Miles s/y Ladybug, sm216  Martinique

Jose Venegas

Good point Miles, I can go and check how many hours between the seal changes but I know that the last time it was leaking water as we were finishing our dobule transatlantic crossing which included a trip motoring up and down the Guadalquivir River to Sevilla.
 As for the grease, I used
Lucas Oil 10320 Marine Grease.  It specially designed for being in contact with water but next time I will go with silicone if that helps.
Thank you

Jose

Ipanema SM278 Boston.