From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of thomas.kleman
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 3:01 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Steering hydraulic line

So, I noticed about a shot glass of water in the starboard lower compartment in the aft cabin (just forward of the linear drive). On SM2K #422, this is where sea water ends up when the rudder post stuffing box leaks a bit. As before, I turned the mylar nut one more facing (I guess 1/8 of a revolution) and it seems to have done the trick. Great.

However, in making this adjustment it was necessary to take off mattress, etc and completely open the storage area under the bed. I don't have that rudder nut tool I've seen on this site and my wrench only fits on the starboard side of the quadrant.  Not an area of the boat I visit regularly enough. No leaks, spots, anything......so far, so good. But I did notice that one of the hydraulic lines to the rudder quadrant has a small bulge/area of deformity about an inch from its termination and it's joint to the piston. Hmmm. This could have been there for 14 years, 14 months, or 14 minutes........I felt around and the hose seems OK; no blistering, tearing, etc. And it has not leaked to date as the area all around the hose seems to be completely dry.

If there were to be a leak from this spot, I suppose it's a pretty big problem.......I would then be dependent on the linear drive autopilot to work because the other autopilot uses the wheel (and thus the hydraulics). And I'm not anxious to ever use the emergency tiller.

Has anyone ever changed one of these hoses and what is the process ? It's not clear to me what size the hose/fitting is........nor is it clear how one bleeds it after a new hose is installed. Any ideas ?

Tom Kleman

SV L'ORIENT

greatketch@...

You can buy one from Amel and that will work.  You can have one custom made, and that will work.

Or you can buy what, in the USA, is called a "plumber's slip wrench"...  and that will work just as well.

I am generally not a fan of "adjustable" wrenches, but in this case these work fine.  You can buy the same wrench from a marine supply store as a "packing gland wrench" for twice the price too...

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Rock Sound Harbour, Eleuthera, Bahamas

eric freedman

Bill,

I have found that the plumbers wrench slips when a lot of force is needed to tighten the nut. When the packing is new it is a no brainer, but when the packing gets compressed, it slips.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

You can buy one from Amel and that will work.  You can have one custom made, and that will work.

Or you can buy what, in the USA, is called a "plumber's slip wrench"...  and that will work just as well.

I am generally not a fan of "adjustable" wrenches, but in this case these work fine.  You can buy the same wrench from a marine supply store as a "packing gland wrench" for twice the price too...

Bill Kinney

SM160, Harmonie

Rock Sound Harbour, Eleuthera, Bahamas

greatketch@...

Eric,

If it needs to be THAT tight, it really needs repacking.

Going on tightening it really tight risks scoring the shaft, or breaking the plastic gland nut.  (I assume your gland nut is nylon, like mine?)  Scoring is not a really big risk with a slow rotation speed like a rudder... but not one I would take.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Rock Sound Harbour, Eleuthera, Bahamas

eric freedman

Bill,

When the packing is initially installed, I drive it down with a piece of PVC pipe and a small sledge hammer.

It is in very tight. As it swells with water it does leak and needs tightening. Over the last 16  years it has always been tight.

I was not commenting on scoring the nut but rounding the edges of the nut.

The correct wrench really comes in handy. One time we were hit by two big waves, the first one laid us over the second put the sails in the water. The water entered in the fresh air duct and came out of the vent under the stairs like a fire hydrant until we leveled off.  This put a lot of water down below. When we got the mess cleaned up, I went back to my cabin.

I saw the carpet was very wet. Initially I was puzzled. I then looked at the rudder post and it was really leaking badly.

It seems that the waves moved the packing on the rudder stock. I had a plumbers wrench and it was very difficult to even turn the nut. When I was done the nut was toast. I now have the proper wrench, spare packing from Amel, and a spare nut duct taped next to the rudder.

That’s my story of the plumbers wrench.