Bow Thruster Linear Actuator

Duane Siegfri

Bill,

Thanks for the referral.  I called them and talked it over.  I'm going to take it to them tomorrow.  It's hard to tell much about them based on their shopfront, it looks pretty low rent.

Thanks again,
Duane
Wanderer, SM#477

greatketch@...

Duane,

I am sorry I can't help you with a purchase source, but it wasn't for want of trying about two years ago. I had looked pretty hard, and our jackscrew was made by a German company, but I could never find a US distributer.

For what it is worth, we had our thruster motors (both the big one and the jack screw motor) rebuilt at Broward Armature in Ft Lauderdale.  The little motor gave them a LOT more trouble than the drive motor, mostly because of the fussy brush holders.  Both eventually came back in excellent shape.

Hopefully they learned something on ours and can do yours quicker and easier!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Rock Sound Harbour, Eleuthera, Bahamas

Duane Siegfri

The electric motor in the linear actuator (raises and lowers the bow thruster) on our boat has gone bad.  The motor shop noted the armature is shot.  By the way, this motor has brushes, but they are not easily serviced since you have to disassemble the motor to get to them and the brush wires are soldered in.  I mention this because the motor has a rubber jacket with dimples that LOOK like they would provide access to the motor brushes.

The motor shop said they could send it to Ft. Lauderdale and maybe they could repair it, but then I'm not sure that the screw jack doesn't have it's own troubles.  They also thought it would be about the same cost to replace it as to repair it.

I've put in a query to the company SNT in France and then followed up with a phone call, but the only guy who can help me is on vacation (he answered the phone!).  I haven't heard from a query put in 10 days ago.

Does anyone know where one can buy one of these?  The SNT site is not designed for sales so I'm assuming someone else sells them.  I've also emailed Maud to see if they have one in stock.

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477