Topics

Raising the waterline aft on SM

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Hello all:

As the hull repairs progress on our hull #335 SM from the Hurricane Maria/Irma damage, the idea of raising the waterline aft is being considered.

Every Amel I have ever seen, regardless of model, does not set level on their lines ( waterline level with the water).  They  all have the waterline higher, by a significant amount, forward.  I noted this when I toured the factory when our boat was being built (looking at the waterline on the boats in the test tank at Chantiers Amel) and asked Jean-Jacque Lemonier (the CEO of Amel at the time) about it.  He replied that it was just because the rigging wasn't in place and assured me that it would be level once the rigging was in place.  Either we mis-communicated or every Amel ever built was intentionally made with the waterline higher forward.

My aft anti-fouling isn't high enough to be effect, especially under the overhang of the transom and I am always scrubbing soft growth off that area as well as the bootstirpe for about 10 ft forward.

Bill Rouse raised his waterline slightly along the entire length of the boat by eliminating the white stripe below the original bootstripe.  What I am proposing is leaving the bootstripe where it is forward and raising it 6 inches aft with a continuous level-line between.  It would still be higher forward than aft, but less of a gradient than the original.

I am seeking info from anyone with inside knowledge of why Amel made the boats like this and any experience with raising the waterline aft (both cosmetically and in solving the scrubbing problem).

Thanks,

Gary S. Silver, original and only owner

Amel SM 2000 #335

s/v Liahona

At Island Marine, Inc. yard at Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Craig Briggs

Hi Gary,
I did exactly what you're contemplating. It works very well. I got the aft section high enough but a little narrow, but if you duplicate the width of the stripe all around you should be fine. The new stripe(s) in the aft section are totally above the originals.  I went with a deep Burgundy Red, rather than the Amel orange, but whatever strikes your fancy.
Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris, Ft Pierce, FL

---In amelyachtowners@..., <no_reply@...> wrote :

[...]

Miles

Hi Gary,

When I was at the factory, I  also asked Jean-Jacque about the water line.  As best as I can recall, he said that it looked better and that the boat would not get an ugly yellow mustache if it motored though dirty water.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216. Le Marin, Martinique

amelliahona <no_reply@...>

Miles, Ian & Judy, and Bill:

Thanks for your input, it is valued.  I just got back to the boat yesterday and looked at the waterline issue with Ken Towne of Island Marine Inc here at Puerto Del Rey in Puerto Rico and measuring the existing water "marking" there is 9 inches of bottom paint above the waterline / watermark at the bow, tapering to 0 inches of anti-fouling above the water line aft.  We have decided to raise the antifouling by three inches aft and shoot a laser level along the side of the boat so it is a straight line from the existing 9 inches forward.  She still won't be level on her lines but she will be "more level" than before by a long shot.

I think 3 inches of bottom paint showing at the stern will give me some leeway if I add a stern solar arch (about 200 lbs I believe, for either an Atlantic Arch or an Emek Marine Arch.

In case you are wondering I had previous place a lot of weight in the bow to try and level the boat but it head to pronounced "hobby horsing" in heavy seas.

Thanks again all,

Gary S. Silver
s/v Liahona
Amel SM 2000  #335
Fajardo Puerto Rico - Puerto Del Rey Marina Yard

Adam Carpenter

Hi

I too am looking raising the waterline aft and leveling it out to existing level at the bow, due to new weight distribution of SS solar arch, solar panels as added in 2015 and of course the contents of aft locker. The bow to mid ships id fine but the aft section requires constant scrubbing.

The challenge is removing this old boot strip before setting up the new waterline trim.

My question for the group is in about the original 2001 build orange boot stripe, is it a vinyl sticker or is it painted on.

If it is a sticker, heat guns and scraping and / or decal eraser disks will be required.

If it is painted on then fine grit sanding will be required.

Any previous experiences or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Adam
s/v Lady Annabelle
AMEL SM 2000 #339
Sydney Australia

Craig Briggs

Hi Adam,
On our '92 SN the orange boot stripe was gelcoat. We simply sanded it before applying the new higher awlgrip paint boot stripe.
 Craig, SN68