[Amel Yacht Owners] Raising the waterline aft on SM

Bill & Judy Rouse <yahoogroups@...>

Gary,

I think that you are on the "right track," although 6" seems a little much to me.

FYI, I saw a SM currently owned by Bill Maffei when prior to his ownership, the orange stripe was raised to a point where the bottom of the stripe location was on the line where the top had been. A 25mm gelcoat white stripe was applied under the new orange stripe. Maybe Bill will comment.

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 12:50 AM, amelliahona <no_reply@...> wrote:

Hello all:

As the hull repairs progress on our hull #335 SM from the Hurricane Maria/Irma damage, the idea of raising the waterline aft is being considered.

Every Amel I have ever seen, regardless of model, does not set level on their lines ( waterline level with the water).  They  all have the waterline higher, by a significant amount, forward.  I noted this when I toured the factory when our boat was being built (looking at the waterline on the boats in the test tank at Chantiers Amel) and asked Jean-Jacque Lemonier (the CEO of Amel at the time) about it.  He replied that it was just because the rigging wasn't in place and assured me that it would be level once the rigging was in place.  Either we mis-communicated or every Amel ever built was intentionally made with the waterline higher forward.

My aft anti-fouling isn't high enough to be effect, especially under the overhang of the transom and I am always scrubbing soft growth off that area as well as the bootstirpe for about 10 ft forward.

Bill Rouse raised his waterline slightly along the entire length of the boat by eliminating the white stripe below the original bootstripe.  What I am proposing is leaving the bootstripe where it is forward and raising it 6 inches aft with a continuous level-line between.  It would still be higher forward than aft, but less of a gradient than the original.

I am seeking info from anyone with inside knowledge of why Amel made the boats like this and any experience with raising the waterline aft (both cosmetically and in solving the scrubbing problem).

Thanks,

Gary S. Silver, original an d only owner

Amel SM 2000 #335

s/v Liahona

At Island Marine, Inc. yard at Puerto Del Rey Marina, Puerto Rico

Gary,

 We raised the water line significantly when we applied Coppercoat eight years ago. We took the Coppercoat to the top of the orange stripe, left an inch or so above that and then added a new stripe.

  Only if this was pointed out to you would you notice the difference. If anything, it makes the hull look sleeker.

 Never again have we had to swim around the aft section to constantly clean and it reduces the area of hull to polish.

 We have made few changes to our Amel but in our book this  ( alongside the Coppercoat) is up there with the best.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Piraeus