Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Wood trim around Vee berth windows

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent. Why don't you varnish them in place.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean pearl

On 24 May 2018 at 10:36 "karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Here I am...again!
I’m going to wait on the cabintop hatches until I can get some help.. Regluing the headliner seems like more than I want to tackle.

Sooo, I’m on to my next project. I want to remove and revarnish (I think it originally had a clear spar urethane, anyone know for sure?) all the wood trim around the hatches and port lites. It has held up well for nearly 20 years, but now the sun has taken it’s toll.

Jeez, nothing’s ever as easy as it seems it should be, is it?
Or is it just me? I guess it’d be easier if I knew how things were put together originally.

Started in the Vee berth, removed the small trim above and below the port lite. There are through bolts around the portlite and wood screws that go through the stainless trim outside and into the back (outboard) side of the larger panel around the portlite. I’ve removed them and the panel is still stuck fast around the portlite. Has anyone removed/revarnished these panels? Is there something else besides sealant holding them?

As usual, thank you for any insight, suggestions, duhs, or encouragement.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy
St Michaels MD.

karkauai

Hi Danny,

I suppose I could, but it’d be difficult to do a nice job on the top and aft end...and potentially messy. If I cant figure out how to get them off, I guess that’s what I’ll have to do.

It doesn’t seem likely that Amel would build something that couldn’t be disassembled.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,
Ours are simply held up by the screws going up through the frame, not by any fasteners coming down. Doubt yours are different. If you've got all the screws out and it doesn't fall free, maybe it's some adhesive from the vinyl "piping" trim and you could free it with a putty knife all around.

I definitely wouldn't try to re-varnish them in place as, if it's like ours, there's UV damage such that you'll want to sand the inner side of the top edges and, perhaps, re-stain the wood where it's sun-bleached to get a good color match. Easy job if it's removed.

Craig, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Hi Danny,

I suppose I could, but it’d be difficult to do a nice job on the top and aft end...and potentially messy. If I cant figure out how to get them off, I guess that’s what I’ll have to do.

It doesn’t seem likely that Amel would build something that couldn’t be disassembled.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243

karkauai

Thanks Craig.  I’ve been trying that with little success so far. I’ll keep plugging away.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

Craig Briggs

Kent,
As I recall you've got a FEIN Multitool - there's some flat saw blades for it and a "window cutter" that could just do the trick.
Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Thanks Craig.  I’ve been trying that with little success so far. I’ll keep plugging away.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

karkauai