Repower questions

greatketch@...

A few questions for those of you who have repowered a Super Maramu—especially those who swapped out a Volvo TMD22.

What new engine did you use?
Did you use the same Hurth 250 transmission?
Are you happy with the new installation?
Where there any serious issues or complications?
Approximate cost?

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Central Chesapeake Bay, USA

karkauai

One more thing about the Yanmar 4JH4HTE...
When talking to Yanmar in Ft Lauderdale, and New Jersey(?) I couldn’t find anyone who had a clue about a “floating” ground like Amel uses. Temp and oil pressure sensors and senders were difficult to find. If you decide on a 4JH4HTE, I can get those part numbers for you. The alternator has a ground wire that was connected to the block. It was rerouted to the battery negative and now there is no ground connection between the alternator and the block.I did post a drawing from Amel showing how the engine isolation is done.

Kent
SM243
Kristy
St Michaels MD

rossirossix4

Hi Kent,

It would be good to get those part numbers and sources posted.  I've wondered about them in case we need to replace a temp or oil pressure sensor.

Bob, KAIMI SM 429
Monastir, Tunisia

Alan Leslie

I would appreciate the information also Kent, as I am sure everyone would.
Look forward to your post !
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Miles

Hi Bill,

I repowered with the Volvo D2-75 about a year ago.  I am very pleased with the engine.  It has the same horse power but more torque, and uses the same transmission and prop.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, les Saintes,

Dave_Benjamin

Bill,
One of our west coast Amel sail clients repowered with a Beta Marine. He also considered a Yanmar. Beta was a much easier retrofit than the Yanmar would have been according to what he told me. And the staff at the Beta distributor was quite helpful. If you want to speak with him directly I can ask him if he is okay with me sharing his email address.

Miles

Yes,  it has an isolated ground.  Unfortunately, I didn’t know about the ground until after the engine was installed and then Volvo didn’t want to send the parts to me because their lawyers said not too.  Finally, a Volvo person send the list of every needed part to me.  I ordered the parts separately from Volvo and now I have an isolated engine.  Again, too late smart.

Regards,

Miles

greatketch@...

Dave,

Thanks for the reference. I have looked at--and dismissed--the Beta Marine engine. It is a good engine, and I know the West Coast distributer from my days in SF. As you say they are good guys.

The problem is that their 75HP engine is not turbocharged.  That in and of itself really appeals, for lots of reasons. BUT.... that means the engine weighs 400 or 500 pounds more that the turbo equivalents.

That is just much more dead weight than I will consider adding to the boat. I'll live with the added complexity and maintenance of the turbo for a half inch of waterline sink!

I am in no rush, and this is not something that will happen quickly.  Lots of research yet to do. If I had to do it today, I would use a Volvo D2.  But, fortunately, I don't have to.  Just want to have all the pieces in place so I can move quickly if I end up needing to.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <dave_benjamin@...> wrote :

Bill,
One of our west coast Amel sail clients repowered with a Beta Marine. He also considered a Yanmar. Beta was a much easier retrofit than the Yanmar would have been according to what he told me. And the staff at the Beta distributor was quite helpful. If you want to speak with him directly I can ask him if he is okay with me sharing his email address.

Graham Boyd

Dave,

I too have been looking at the Beta to replace my TMD22....no turbo and Kubota parts world wide. Could you put me in touch with your client? Is it a SM he/she has? It would be great to talk to some one who has taken the step away from turbo charged volvo/yanmars. I also want as few electronic control boxes as poss....not too many diagnostic machines in SE Asia.

Graham
SM140
Sula
Hong Kong