Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Slowing down in increasing winds

James Alton

Bill,

   Thanks for your input and advice.  That is a good point about being sure to bring the traveller all of the way to the leeward side when sailing at an angle that could possibly result in a gybe.

    I am curious about whether the boom on your boat can actually hit the backstay?    Have you tried raising it using the topping lift, then swinging it back and forth to see?   The main boom on my boat clears the backstay even when lifted so that it is perpendicular to the backstay, but not by much!

   On the subject of shock loads (such as from jibing) and elasticity, I came across this snip from a forum response by Brian Toss whom I feel knows his stuff pretty well.

"Shock loads are relative to acceleration and elasticity. They can be quantified and included in design load calculations if desired. The short form here is that the materials you are likely to use appropriately are also appropriate for any shock loads, if they are scaled to the design load, times a safety factor. As a counter-example, I've seen main sheets and vangs break gear when owners ill-advisedly replaced Dacron with HM line.

Brian’s complete post can be found at:  http://www.briontoss.com/spartalk/showthread.php?p=5662

Best,

James
SV Sueño
Maramu #220

On May 30, 2018, at 7:12 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I'll have to think about the gooseneck, and how it changes things...  a good thought...  And I agree the elasticity of the mainsheet can help... but only to a point.  If the mainsheet stretches enough to allow the boom to hit the shrouds, more problems can occur than are solved.

There is another really important piece of the puzzle, that someone else mentioned earlier in this discussion.  The position of the traveler has a huge impact on the amount of damage that can happen in a gybe.

If the traveler is centered, and the boom is eased out only with the mainsheet, a gybe can be really dangerous.  With that much mainsheet out, the boom can rise when it crosses, when the mainsail goose-wings around the mast.  It can rise enough to actually hit the backstay as it comes across.  If the boom was out touching (or very close to touching) the aft lower shroud, when it comes across i t can impact the aft lower shroud on the other side.  Both of these scenarios are potentially disastrous both to the boom--and the rig itself.

If the traveler is all the way over to the leeward side, then these problems can't happen, or at least are minimized, because the mainsheet is so much shorter, and the boom is stopped halfway across, before it can get really moving.

One of the things I really love about the Amel set up is that the traveler is long enough to actually be really useful as a sail trim tool. When sailing anything upwind of a beam reach, we  adjust the traveler far more often than we do the mainsheet.  If we are sailing downwind, the traveler is always (no exceptions--ever) eased down to the leeward side.

There are aways two parts to preventing damage in an accidental gybe.  First is avoid the gybe in the first place.  A nice idea, but it will happen to e verybody.  The second part is to be sure the boat is set up so damage is avoided or minimized.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Deltaville, VA, USA

greatketch@...

I was always a regular reader of Brion Toss' forum.  I was disappointed when it became too much trouble to maintain.  Lots of really good information buried in there.  He is one of the people I have "met" through his writing who I really would like to meet personally.

Can my boom hit the backstay?  Yes.  But... No.

YES: The geometry of the rig would allow the boom to hit the back stay. (I just had to go on deck to check.)

But NO: Amel, having thought of everything, has put a "permanent" vang on the boat.  A length of 3-strand nylon (stretchy!) from the boom to the base of the mast. Its primary purpose is to keep the boom from rising when unfurling the sail. It also prevents the boom from rising high enough to impact the backstay in a jibe.  It is long enough that it has no real effect on sail trim in any normal situation.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <lokiyawl2@...> wrote :

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi, you will note that both the static main-boom Vang and the main and mizzen adjustable preventers are laid nylon rope, the most elastic available. (if used on a swing mooring the allowance for stretch under maximum load is 33% of length) The static vang caused me some mocking amusement when I brought my racing sensitivities to my Amel. Of course I was wrong. Its length is perfect. Because it is attached to a fixed tongue at the base of the mast when the boom moves out to the broad reaching then running position the vang tensions slightly, more the further out the boom goes. Until the sheeting is beyond the traveler it is slack, then when needed it takes up. Who wants to be messing with vang tension. Henri, I again salute you. However whatever your mainsheet is made of it is high risk to gybe with the sheet slack and uncontrolled, you may get away with it sometimes but eventually.......

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 05 June 2018 at 11:28 "James Alton lokiyawl2@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

   I did not make the connection of the most important function of the permanent 3 strand boom vang until you pointed out what should have been obvious, thanks!

   James
   SV Sueño
   Maramu #220

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

[...]

hanspeter baettig

to Bill Kinney
Hi
what are your texting?
You are a owner of a SM 160
pls. explain to the forum . The boom of the main sail ? the boom of the mizzen can hit the two backstay ??
I'm a littel bit confused reding your message
Hanspeter
Tamango 2
SM16
Las Palmas

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 05.06.2018 um 01:54 schrieb greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Hans-Peter,

The mizzen boom on my boat most certainly can hit the twin backstays. I just went on deck to confirm.

The Main boon can hit the main mast back stay, but only IF the permanent fixed vang was not installed.

Hope that makes it clear..

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

We just did the Chagos to Rodrigues leg of South Indian Ocean passage, with 5 of 9 days in sustained 35 kts with lots of 40+kts and the wind speed pegged on max over 50kts on occasions.

The seas started at 3.5m swells but were well over 5m for two days and a very angry and unpredictable 6m or more at the peak for approx 24 hrs.

I can report rhat the SM handled this with ease. We had fortunately anticipated this, and hence made our southing from Chagos early in 25-30kts (ie upwind sailing), so by the time we hit the strong 35+ winds and big seas, we could bear off to a point where the wind was just behind the beam, making things far easier running down waves which would be near impossible to go upwind and over without launching into mid air and slamming down.

Whilst it was wild and sometimes white out conditions, never did we feel unsafe, and with mostly just a very small amount of all 3 sails out, the boat stayed in control at all times, and mainly under 7kts speed without any need for a drougue.

Hope we have no more 50+ kts on the balance of our Indian Ocean crossing, but it sure is nice to know and experience the amazing capability of these Amels when one is thousands of miles from anywhere.

Colin Streeter
SV Island Pearl II
SM #332, Rodrigues

On Wed, 6 Jun. 2018, 17:28 greatketch@... [amelyachtowners], <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hans-Peter,

The mizzen boom on my boat most certainly can hit the twin backstays. I just went on deck to confirm.

The Main boon can hit the main mast back stay, but only IF the permanent fixed vang was not installed.

Hope that makes it clear..

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

well done Colin. Very good seamanship. Thank you for the detail  of wind waves and sail. It confirms my experience of the SMs supreme ability as an off shore sailing vessel. Pleased you didn't hobble her by dragging stuff behind. Plan, prepare and have the right amount of sail up and she will look after you.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 11 June 2018 at 04:27 "Sailing Island Pearl colin.d.streeter@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Well done Colin, couldn't have been in a better boat. Our experience from NZ to Tahiti in 2014 was similar. Never felt out of control.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Patrick McAneny

Colin, Sounds like a boisterous passage, I am sure exciting ,yet good to be done with , well done.What forecasting service do you use , is it not Predict Wind ? If so did you find it accurate , worthwhile.
Fair Winds ,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Hi Pat

Yes, we use P.Wind professional package with currents etc via an Iridium Go unlimited package. Bit pricey but well worth the money for our Indian Ocean crossing (and Sth Atlantic next too) as currents have been awesome.

Winds are good but were over estimated for most of our north Indian Ocean crossing (Thail -Maldives) and then under estimated by 5-10 kts for our Sth Indian Ocean crossing so far which everyone warned us about.

Currents have been exceptional and will be even more important soon as we intend to go back up around tge top of Madagascar after Mauritius and Reunion then down the notorious Mozambique channel with all its currents often hard to find.

PW gives 4 different weathet models and we always average tgem out and look for where they agree. With all this info you really do have a fair amount of control which we like.

I should also add we are also using a well known local Sth African weather routing expert ( Des Carlson) so tend to take all that info but always make our own decisions in the end and hence occasionally get it wrong such as this trip whete PW route would have been more direct and missed the worst of the weather we hit.... but that is life. You take a decision... win some...lose some etc.

Colin
SV Island Pearl II
Amel SM#332
Rodrigues

On Mon, 11 Jun. 2018, 02:36 Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners], <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Colin, Thanks for the reply, always interesting to know what one's experience is with a product ,sounds positive . I would not get the professional version probably, but makes sense for you ,and where you are going. Currents have a greater impact on conditions in that part of the world.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Wise decision Pat.

For our Caribbean cruising in 2019, and for our Pacific crossing afterwards, we cannot see ourselves forking out the extra cash for currents as it is far less important, and more benign so probably never a life or death decision.

I forgot to mention earlier that wave / swell heights and directiins right across the Indian Ocean so far have been absolutely spot on for P. Wind. When they said 3-4 meters that was precisely what we were in, and where it predicted 5-6m we got exactly that. Really impressive and we re-run our weather forecasts normally 2 to 3 times per 24hrs when on an ocean crossing. Why not ...it is free on the unlimited package and .... something intetesting to do out there when alone.... and means we can keep putting the boat is the best currents which were all amazingly accurate.

Wr have HF and oactor modem but are now real advocates of the IridiumGo and PW.

Colin
SV IslandPearl II
Amel SM #333
Rodrigues

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S6 on the Telstra Mobile Network

[...]

Very Well Done.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy