Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Finally a real forum member

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

Hi Arno,
I'll be in Caracao in the end of July/August timeframe with my boat. Would be nice to meet then. Do you have a local phone?
Best regards,
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54 #15

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 2:12:37 PM GMT-4, arno.luijten@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

Dear Forum,

After quite some time lurking on this forum and provided unsollicited comments to Amel owners , we finally managed to get hold of one of our own. If all goes well we will gain the ownership by mid-July.

She is a 2009 Amel 54 in dire need of a lot of t.l.c.

We will bring her to Curacao in the next month and put her on the hard for the remainder of the hurricane season. There we will start with the extensive process to bring her back to her original “Grandeur”.

My first question is about Coppercoat. Is that possible/recommendable for an Amel?

I’m sure many other questions will pop up in the coming months.

Regards

Arno

A54 - Luna

Hi Arno,

I have Coppercoat on my SM.  Some of Bill Rouse’s cautions apply.. such as the growth of algaeon the hull.  However, I have NO barnacles whatsoever after 3 years in the Med, Caribbean, Panama and Pacific.

Yes, I do clean the hull every 2 months.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007.

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 2:12:37 PM GMT-4, arno.luijten@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Dear Forum,

After quite some time lurking on this forum and provided unsollicited comments to Amel owners , we finally managed to get hold of one of our own. If all goes well we will gain the ownership by mid-July.

She is a 2009 Amel 54 in dire need of a lot of t.l.c.

We will bring her to Curacao in the next month and put her on the hard for the remainder of the hurricane season. There we will start with the extensive process to bring her back to her original “Grandeur”.

My first question is about Coppercoat. Is that possible/recommendable for an Amel?

I’m sure many other questions will pop up in the coming months.

Regards

Arno

A54 - Luna

Courtney Gorman

Arno congratulations!!
Coppercoat designed to keep you boat in the water for longer without having to pull it to repaint yet you will have to service your Seadrive every 2 years which works nicely for new antifoul.  It is still a choice and matter of opinion but from my little bit of research sticking with traditional antifoul works best for us.
Cheers
Courtney
Trippin 54 #101
Grenada

After quite some time lurking on this forum and provided unsollicited comments to Amel owners , we finally managed to get hold of one of our own. If all goes well we will gain the ownership by mid-July.
She is a 2009 Amel 54 in dire need of a lot of t.l.c.
We will bring her to Curacao in the next month and put her on the hard for the remainder of the hurricane season. There we will start with the extensive process to bring her back to her original “Grandeur”.

My first question is about Coppercoat. Is that possible/recommendable for an Amel?

I’m sure many other questions will pop up in the coming months.

Regards

Arno
A54 - Luna

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Congratulation Arno

I had the same question few month a go.
After a nice forum member mentioned that an Amel has to go out of water for the change of 'c-drive shaft bearing' every 2-3 year anyhow, I decided for traditional Micron-77 AF. Hope this works in MedSea ;-)

Ruedi
Wasabi A54#55
Sailing Cyclades

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Congratulations Arno!

See you soon!

Alexandre

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2018, 1:06 PM

Dear Forum,
After quite some time
lurking on this forum and provided unsollicited comments to
Amel owners , we finally managed to
get hold of one of our own. If all goes well we will gain
the ownership by mid-July.She is a 2009 Amel 54 in
dire need of a lot of t.l.c.We will bring her to
Curacao in the next month and put her on the hard for the
remainder of the hurricane season. There we will start with
the extensive process to bring her back to her original
“Grandeur”.
My first
question is about Coppercoat. Is that possible/recommendable
for an Amel?
I’m sure many
other questions will pop up in the coming months.
Regards
ArnoA54 - Luna

Mohammad Shirloo

Arno;

Welcome to the group and the Amel family.

I second Ruedi's opinion. We have used Micron 77 and it has performed well in the Med. If anything does manage to attach itself to the hull after a long stay in a marina, a nice day sail cleans it all up.

Respectfully;
Mohammad and Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

After quite some time lurking on this forum and provided unsollicited comments to Amel owners , we finally managed to get hold of one of our own. If all goes well we will gain the ownership by mid-July.
She is a 2009 Amel 54 in dire need of a lot of t.l.c.
We will bring her to Curacao in the next month and put her on the hard for the remainder of the hurricane season. There we will start with the extensive process to bring her back to her original “Grandeur”.

My first question is about Coppercoat. Is that possible/recommendable for an Amel?

I’m sure many other questions will pop up in the coming months...

Regards

Arno
A54 - Luna

Peter Forbes

I agree my 54 seems good with Micron 77. We just completed our circumnavigation.

Peter Forbes
0044 7836 209730
Carango  Sailing Ketch
Amel 54 #035
In La Rochelle

On 27 Jun 2018, at 05:25, 'Mohammad Shirloo' mshirloo@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

rossirossix4

Regarding Micron 77, in many (most?) parts of Europe it is no longer available having been replaced by Micron 350.  We had Micron 350 applied (Micron 77 no longer available) in April, 2018 at Manoel Island Yacht Yard, Malta. According to the experts at Manoel International Paint has assured them that performance will be as good or better.  When I compared content they looked similar.  Micron 350 is about 45% DiCopperOxide and 25% Zinc Oxide. We will let you know how it does.

Bob, KAIMI SM 429

Hi Arno,

I would not worry too much about your pollution level… the commercial ships never have barnacles or green on their hulls.

What do you think makes their AF so effective?  Yet the regulators ban the use of products on recreational yachts…

Go figure.

Regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain
SY Eleuthera, SM 007

On 26 Jun 2018, at 08:42, Jean-Pierre's MacBook Air jgermain@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Robert Giroux

There are severe constraints on tin supply with very few producers. Given the outrageously high dilution ratio of total boat hull surface to ocean water volume, I would think this is purely an economically driven lobbying effort from some corporate interest that sees an advantage. Like most things regulatory. I happened to witness Kent’s hull last time it was out of the water and it was immaculate!

Regards,

Robert Giroux

FUTURE SM Owner

[...]

Alan Leslie

Tin is seriously bad for the marine environment.
Read this :

In 2008 organotin compounds acting as biocide like TBT compounds were banned in anti-fouling paint and included in the Rotterdam Convention and have been banned by the International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships of the International Maritime Organization. It states that ships cannot bear organotin compounds on their hulls or external parts or surfaces, unless there is a coating that forms a barrier so that organotin compounds cannot leach out to reduce exposure by allowing recovery to occur.

Even though banned by some international agencies, TBT anti-fouling paints are still used in countries with poor regulation enforcement, as in the Caribbean.

Seahawk have this to say about their Islands 44 Tin based paint :

Tin-Based – 1000H Series

Islands 44 Plus HARDER was developed for the harshest tropical environments in the world. Islands 44 Plus HARDER is a multi-seasonal self-polishing paint. It has a high load of copper and tin that will ensure maximum protection against marine growth. The most popular antifouling paint in the Caribbean, Islands 44 Plus Harder is effective on boats of all types and sizes, including mega yachts.

  • Self-cleaning copolymer with high load of tin (TBT) and copper
  • The only tin (TBT) paint available on the market
  • Highest level of antifoulant protection available
  • Highest quality grade of cuprous oxide available (more potent active ingredient)

This product may not be sold or applied in the United States. Please check with your respective Country for regulatory requirements regarding sale and use of the product.

"MAY NOT BE SOLD OR APPLIED IN THE UNITED STATES"

And in fact Seahawk were prosecuted some years ago for still selling tin based paint in the US when they had signed a document saying that they had ceased.

There are god reasons for banning tin based antifouling and it is only irresponsible states that turn a  blind eye to it. To continue to use tin based paints when there are alternatives available is recklessly and selfishly irresponsible given the evidence of the harm they cause to the marine environment.

Alan
Elyse SM437

karkauai

 My thoughts exactly, JP.  It seems the small amount of paint we use is an easy target for bureaucrats and legislators who want to make a statement.  We have no clout compared to the commercial shipping, military, and mega yacht crowd.  If they made the rule for everybody I’d likely go along if the science is solid.

Sorry...I’m getting too political, I’m done.

Kent
Kristy
SM243

karkauai

Two different marinas here in the US indifferent states have told me that it’s perfectly legal to put Island 44 on any boat greater than 75 ft.
Kent

Alan Leslie

They may have told you that but since 2008, tin based antifouling has been banned in the US
Google it ....
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

ngtnewington Newington

Hi fellow Amel owners,

From and environmental point of view; I feel that there is no problem at sea and in the open ocean. There is certainly a lot of hypocrisy regarding commercial vessels being permitted to use tin based antifouling. I do not claim to be very knowledgable on the chemistry and biology involved.

However in marinas,  rivers and harbours there is often a high concentration of yachts that just sit there year in year out, thousands of them.  Antifouling with tin based paints is probably very harmful to aquatic life. I should also mention that these areas are traditionally fish nurseries and under a lot of pressure from agricultural run off and general pollution. Not to mention the sanding and painting that boat yards do. I know in many places they are supposed to capture the residue, but in the real world how often does that happen?

So yes in one way it is a shame that we can not apply a bottom paint that will last 5 years but we have a duty to look after our seas and inland waterways after all we are yachting for pleasure.

When I bought Amelia in June 2017 the existing bottom paint was Micron 66. I decided to leave it and see how it fared as I was due to haul in Trinidad for September to December. It was still perfect so I left it again, but added a coat  of Micron 77 to the rudder. It is still perfect. I wonder how eco it really is.

Nick