Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] GP150 GPS Data Output Fault

Dean,

Here are 4 choices for you:
  1. You should go to Input/Output Setting on Page 14 of your Furuno Manual and make sure all is set correctly.
  2. A Furuno Dealer can likely repair your GP 150.
  3. Here is a used GP 150: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUNO-GPS-Navigator-GP-150-Used/263718096794?hash=item3d66d2cf9a:g:uGYAAOSwMM9bCwpg
  4. The GP 90 has the same footprint and NMEA 0183 data output as the GP 150. Here is a used GP 90: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUNO-GPS-Navigator-GP-90-Display-Unit/162821591463?epid=665585165&hash=item25e8ec51a7:g:yDYAAOSwVF1aQpj1

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 11:06 AM trifin@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I seem to have a fault with my Furuno GP-150 GPS unit, where it has stopped outputting NMEA0183 data on all ports. The fault results in position/time data appearing on neither the ICOM505 radio nor the Hydra3000 display. There is also no GPS data going to the MFD12 chart plotters either.

I was a bit confused for a while because the chart plotters seemed to be still getting GPS data, however I’ve discovered that this is being sourced from the AIS FA50 over Ethernet and not from the GP-150 (even though the GP150 is wired to send NMEA0183 data to the chart plotter).

I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this fault, and if so, what was your solution?

The GP150 is no longer sold, maybe there’s a second hand option?

Repair option?

I could also reconfigure my system and have the chart plotter route GPS LatLon and GPS Time to the Icom and Hydra. I don’t like this solution for reliability reasons, but maybe a temporary solution while GP150 gets repaired.

Maybe there is another product which can replace the GP150?

It’s not critical to have the data on the Hydra, but I want it on the radio for safety reasons.

Cheers

Dean

SY Stella

Amel 54#154

Dean Gillies

Hi Bill,
Thanks for those suggestions.
I did check the manual in detail and have even reset the unit to factory defaults, but no go.
I am not near a dealer, and I’m moving around so the repair option (if they are interested in doing that) will have to wait. I’ll try the UK as I might be able to organise that in the coming months.

I found those second hand units on eBay earlier today, but they don’t ship to anywhere near me.

I might reconfigure my system tomorrow to use the MFD as the source. This may also solve a problem I posted about previously where there is no heading data at the Hydra display.

Cheers
Dean

Alex Ramseyer <alexramseyer@...>

Hi Dean, I had the same problem ca. 2,5  years ago and replaced the GP-150 with a GP-90 which cost me ca. USD 200 on E-bay. In January 2017 the GP 90 run into the same symptoms. I was lucky to find an excellent marine electronics pro near Ft. Pierce. He instantly diagnosed correctly, sent the GP-90 to Furuno and they repaired it (can't remember the price but it was not a lot). It's been working fine ever since.
Best regads,
Alex
SY NO STRESS
AMEL54 #15