[Amel Yacht Owners] Gas Struts for Engine Hatch

Mark Erdos

From the forum:

Good memory Kent,

I purchased 2 from
Bansbach easylift in Florida 321-253-1999
Esteban Contreras estebanc@...

A1A1N40-250-608/400N 316L Stainless Steel
Meaning a stroke of 250 mm with 608 mm overall
400 NM resistance
The stroke is 8 mm
The Diameter of the cylinder is 19 mm
With 8 mm hinge on each side.

Took a few weeks to build
They were $125 each (and free shipping).

These were the highest standard they are, guaranty for 10.000 opening...
They also had a cheaper standard line.

Sincerely, Alexandre
SM2K #289 NIKIMAT
Club Nautico de San Juan, Puerto Rico

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Date: Monday, July 2, 2018, 4:26 PM

From the
forum:

Esteban Contreras estebanc@easylift.com

[...]

I think that the challenge has been identified. There are so many variables in these common gas struts, that to find one sitting on a shelf would be a miracle.

There are some websites that will take you step-by-step through the process of identifying all of the options...BUT, here are some of my notes...

In retrospect, I would try 300N...Amel OEM was 400N, but SM engine hatches have a tendency to bulge where these are mounted. 400N = 90 pounds each...300N = 67 pounds each...I think it will work.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

To: amelyachtowners@...

I need to replace the gas struts for the engine
hatch.

I've looked at the forum and found Bill R's note
that they are rated at 400
Newton (90 pounds), and I measure the length at 22.5"
extended length and
a stroke length of 8".

The problem is I cannot find a gas strut with bolted
connections.  They
seem to come in clevis and ball joint.

Does anyone have a source reference?

Thanks,

Duane

Wanderer, SM#477

Craig Briggs

I recall several old posts about "bulging" fiberglass in the area of the struts (and elsewhere) being the embedded carbon steel backing plates having expanded with rust and forcing the fiberglass to "bulge". Not surprising if original bolts removed to replace the struts, allowing water ingress. Similar "bulging" in other areas with backing plates have also been noted. Fiberglass itself, of course, doesn't "bulge".  Proper fix is cut out old plate and re-glass (preferably from the back side in the case of the hatch, for cosmetics), not just add exterior plates.
Cheers, Craig , SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <brouse@...> wrote :

I think that the challenge has been identified. There are so many variables in these common gas struts, that to find one sitting on a shelf would be a miracle.

There are some websites that will take you step-by-step through the process of identifying all of the options...BUT, here are some of my notes...

In retrospect, I would try 300N...Amel OEM was 400N, but SM engine hatches have a tendency to bulge where these are mounted. 400N = 90 pounds each...300N = 67 pounds each...I think it will work.

Best, Bill Rouse