[Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge Continuous Running

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi. Is there water coming out of the discharge pipe. If not is there water in the sump up to the level of float switch activation. If no to the first and yes to the second your problem is the pump is not priming and of course then the float switch is activating the pump. This can be caused by a leak in the suction pipe, a faulty valve or a valve with something caught in it, or a hole in the diaphragm. ( in order of probability) As to the switches.  If you put it on manual it will run regardless until you switch it off manual. On auto the float switch controls on and off.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 07 July 2018 at 16:41 "mgarver@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I tried searching for this, but couldn’t find the answer. My wife and I just returned to our boat and today I noticed that the bilge is running non-stop. I went to the engine room and noticed that the bilge switch appears to be turned on, but am unsure if I turn it to the lower position if I am turning off the auto-bilge or not. When I turn the switch off, obviously the bilge ceases to run, but not sure if it will kick in if water builds up again. Question is if turned to the botttom position, does that turn off the bilge pump including automatic?

THanks,

Mark

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Mark,

Generally speaking:
The switch (called “puisard”) that you find on the forward bulkhead should always be on, except when you want to work on the pump and disconnect it.
The Switch on the 24 Volt panel in the galley should be on “Auto” except when you want to use it to empty the bilge (for example before you leave for the day).

Now:
I think your bilge pump is not emptying anything, probably a leak in the valve (this happened to me). Following that I took as a rule, to always empty the bilge before I left the boat for the day.
Could be the on/off switch on the tube, but I doubt.

So you must switch off the pump before you burn it, by switching off the “puisard” switch you located (on the forward bulkhead). Sure they have a fuse inside, etc. but no need to let it run.

Then open it, inspect the flaps, etc.
It is not a good illustration, but here is what to expect inside:
http://www.nikimat.com/bilge_pump_electric_amfa_marina_zz.html
it could also be the little arm turning around the shaft that is turning empty, you will find out by opening it.

Meanwhile you can use the hand pump to empty your bilge.

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bilge Continuous Running
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, July 6, 2018, 11:41 PM

I tried searching for this, but
couldn’t find the answer. My wife and I just returned to
our boat and today I noticed that the bilge is running
non-stop. I went to the engine room and noticed that the
bilge switch appears to be turned on, but am unsure if I
turn it to the lower position if I am turning off the
auto-bilge or not. When I turn the switch off, obviously the
bilge ceases to run, but not sure if it will kick in if
water builds up again. Question is if turned to the botttom
position, does that turn off the bilge pump including
automatic?
THanks,
Mark

Mark Garver

Thank you everyone. Alex, that was specifically my question. Upon further checking the float stick had somehow came up past the float switch holding it open. So I now have the Puisard back on and everything seems good.

I really want to thank everyone for their quick and meaningful replies.

Best,

Mark

To: amelyachtowners@...