[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: leak in saloon drain hose

Ryan Meador

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the tips.  My best guess is that the leak is at the forward end of the main run, which is the bottom-right of the photo.  I'll try to confirm with some dye -- good idea!  The water kind of pools under the fitting and eventually flows aft, so it's not obvious where it comes from except that it's not either of the two top inlets.  I have some Captain Tolley's, I wonder if that would work for filling the mystery crack.  I was thinking I'd need to take the fitting out and replace the hose if the hose joint is where it's leaking (I already tried tightening the hose clamps) or replace the fitting if it had cracked.  It never occurred to me to try to fill the crack in situ.

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 8:53 AM sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Yes, Ryan, that does look like one butt-ugly agglomeration of plumbing fittings - must  be French :-) I've never seen a Street Elbow with at "T" off the side and the white part looks like maybe a drain trap. The hoses are all standard stuff - I've cut the main run to add a "T" for my air conditioner and it's all plastic (no wire).

Anyway, I think I'd start with a roll of paper towels, dry it all off and try to spot the leak by alternately pouring water down each feed and dabbing around with the paper towel. Maybe use some blue holding tank deodorant as a dye to help spot the leak. If you find it, then try a patch with something like Seal-All.  I usually wouldn't recommend trying to seal a leak from the outside, but that assembly is going to be a beast to replace as it does look like it's glued together with PVC cement and the age-hardened hoses and tight space around make it worse.  Seal-All is cheap and it really does work wonders, even applied from the outside..

Rots 'o ruck!
Craig SN68.

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

I'm concerned my photo didn't appear correctly because I can't find it on the Yahoo site, so I'm attaching it a difH

ferent way this time.  Hopefully this makes it more clear what I'm talking about.  Thanks!

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 10:26 PM Ryan Meador <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed a very slow leak in the drain hose that runs from the forward watertight bulkhead, beneath the floor in the saloon, to the area beneath the companionway.  It fills the space beneath the companionway stairs with water.  I think the leak is at the fitting where the dishwasher drain and air conditioning condensate T into it:

IMG_20180709_211135.jpg

I'm unsure if the leak is between the hose and the fitting, or the fitting itself has cracked.  I'm afraid to take it apart without a plan.  I'm wondering if someone can help me with a few questions:
  1. does this thing come apart?  it looks like the parts are glued, except the hose clamps
  2. what is the white part in the middle?
  3. do you know the inside diameters of the hoses?  is there anything special about the material of the one that runs the length of the saloon?
Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

Craig Briggs

Hi Ryan,

Having used Captain Tolley's (AMAZING) Creeping Crack Cure on some hair-line window leaks with great success, I don't think it's quite the right product, as it really needs to work by capillary action in minute cracks. It seems a leaking hose connection would be too big. Seal-All is designed to fill and "skin over" small actively leaking places (although they do have to be dry until it sets). You could certainly give it a try, of course, and if it works, well, it works,although my choice would be a few coats of the Seals-All.

Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <ryan.d.meador@...> wrote :

[...]

I think I found the source of my leak!  These two jugs of water I'd stashed under the saloon sole apparently chafed through and drained out through a pinhole.  I assume they collapsed due to the vacuum created by the departing water.  I don't think there's a leak in the plumbing at all.  I didn't look at them closely enough when I was hunting for the source... at a glance from above, it's not obvious they were nearly empty.  Sorry for the false alarm!

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

[...]