[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Leaking rudder

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

This is the spanner I use. It just fits. I hope the attachment works for the photo

Regards

Danny.

SM 299 Ocean pearl

On 13 July 2018 at 09:39 "arthur@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

But with wich tool??? It is a big nut....,

Eric Freedman

I feel that using a pipe wrench on a nylon nut damages the nut. I fabricated this short wrench that can be used without taking the rudder quadrant apart and does not damage the nylon nut. Amel also sells a similar wrench'

Fair winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimneberlite

Alan Leslie

When I bought Elyse, there was a wrench in the tool box that looks like a pipe wrench, but the faces of the jaws are flat...that's what I have used to adjust the nut....and I don't need to disassemble the quadrant to do it.
Having said that we had real issues with leaks from the rudder gland some years ago, on the passage to Tahiti. "Someone" had cross threaded the nut. I had to take out one layer of packing to get it to thread.
Ordered a new nut from Maud, replaced the packing and it has been fine ever since....that was 2014 and I haven't since  needed to adjust the nut.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Arthur Sundqvist

Thanks. Allan for input on rudder leaking theme....

Fair Winds
Arthur Sundqvist
SM. 435.  Vista

Skickat från min iPhone

14 juli 2018 kl. 09:35 skrev divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

When I bought Elyse, there was a wrench in the tool box that looks like a pipe wrench, but the faces of the jaws are flat...that's what I have used to adjust the nut....and I don't need to disassemble the quadrant to do it.

Having said that we had real issues with leaks from the rudder gland some years ago, on the passage to Tahiti. "Someone" had cross threaded the nut. I had to take out one layer of packing to get it to thread.
Ordered a new nut from Maud, replaced the packing and it has been fine ever since....that was 2014 and I haven't since  needed to adjust the nut.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

John Clanton

Arthur,

Not sure if you have this resolved or not, but I have a spanner/wrench for the rudder post nut on an Amel 55 which measures 85mm wide x 10 mm thick.  Also, I am currently at Marina Real in A Corona for the foreseeable future.  I don't know that the size is the same for the SM, but if it is, you are welcome to use it.

John W. Clanton
S/V Devereux
Amel 55, No. 65
A Coruna, Spain