Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Drawer/cupboard pulls

John Clark

Hi All, sorry was not paying attention.  I am still interested in purchasing the square handles.  I would probably (depending on price) take ten.    I haven't asked Alban yet about the handles...probably should get on that as I am here in Martinique.  Am flying with Alex(Nikimat) this afternoon but will check first thing on Monday....if there are any French at work the day after World Cup.
                    John

John Clark
SV Annie SM 37
Le Marin

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 10:38 AM, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Update on drawer pulls:

Maud just wrote and apologized that she was mistakenly thinking about the round pulls when she told me she did have the original square ones, so it looks we're back at square one on getting replacements.

Anyone pursuing 3D printing or other options - please keep us posted.

Cheers, Craig Briggs, SN68 SANGARIS

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi Steve,

Got it and have added to my list.  Per my post let's shift to email.
sangaris at aol dot com

Send me an email so i have your email and I'l update when I hear from Maud.

Cheers, Craig

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Hi Craig,

Thanks for doing all the leg work on this. I’d take at least 10, but depending on price, would at least double that order. My theory is that I’ve already had 2 failures, and due to the age of the boat, would expect many more during my ownership. I also have a Swiss friend with an older SM who needs some. He is in Switzerland now, and I’ll let him know.

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Jul 9, 2018, at 04:39, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

After I posted this and several others replied they needed them too, I wrote back to Maud, telling her that, and she has now written to me saying she may be able to get them after all, now that there is a known demand.  I'm waiting for her to write back and give me pricing.

I'd like to give her a firm order and will be happy to coordinate for the US contingent.  That is, I can place a bulk order and then break it out to others within the US, rather than have Maud send several overseas shipments,  From the replies posted on the DB so far:
Miles - Ladybug in Newport -  "4 or 5"
Ryan & Kelle - Iteration in Boston  -  "a couple"
Jose Venegas - Impanema in Boston  -  "5"
Steve Davis - Aloha in Hawaii   - "some"
John Clark - ?  in ?   -   "yes"
Kent Robertson - Kristy in St Michaels -  ?
Craig Briggs - Sangaris - in Boca Raton -  need one, if price is right would take 10 or more

John on Annie in Martinique wanted "some" but may be better off dealing with Amel Carribbean (or  not)

Anyway, I'll keep you posted on what Maud says.  In the meantime, let's take this off-line of the regular forum traffic.  Drop me an email to sangaris@...  (that's sangaris at aol.com).  We don't need to do anything firm until Maud gives us the pricing.  I also asked her to clarify if we can buy the chrome pulls separate from the brown plastic latching part.  If the pulls are inexpensive I've got a lot that are corroding and could use freshening up - I think there's about 40 in total on my SN.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris, parked in Brunswick, GA (I'm in Boca Raton) sangaris@...

---In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, wrote :

Maud informed me that Amel no longer has the old push-button rectangular drawer pulls.
Has anyone found a source or a good replacement?

Many thanks, Craig Briggs, SN68 Sangaris

karkauai

I finally got all my questions answered by the 3D printer in Annapolis. I sent pics and a sketch with dimensions, if we go ahead with this I will send him a pull from Kristy for him to copy exactly. There are only three affordable options. Here’s the bottom line:

1) ABS plastic in White, Black, or Silver (not shiny). This material isn’t mirror smooth. For an order of 100, design cost is $150 + $550=$700.00/100=$7.00 each
2). Chrome after light sanding-will give a shiny chrome surface, but not mirror smooth-add $1200 =$1900.00/100=$19.00 each

3) Dense tough resin which can be printed with mirror-smooth finish and chromed to look like original, $3600/100=$36.00 each

If anyone wants pics of the ABS material, contact me privately and I’ll send them to you.

I think any would be very functional and look fine. For $7 each, you could redo all in one cabin with the black or silver and save the rest as spares for the other cabins.

I think we will have to agree on which ones we want to order, I’ve asked if we could split the ABS order to include some silver and some gray, but don’t have an answer yet. I will ask if the design time is the same if only a few want the option 3, and get a quote per piece for the printing.

Anyone interested, please contact me at
karkauai “at” yahoo “dot” com

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Ryan Meador

Thanks for doing the legwork on this.  I'd be interested in a few of option 3, as I want to match the originals as closely as possible.  I just had one break on me a few days ago!  First one to go, and it was just the spring.  Until now, I was only looking for spares.

I'm still investigating printing these in metal.  I need to CAD the parts before I can get an estimate, and I've been trying to work on one project at a time (3D printing new "winches" for the genoa car controls in stainless steel; the original plastic ones cracked).

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:31 AM karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Ryan,
So far you are the only one asking for the high quality mirror chrome finish. For orders lessthan100, the chrome guy wants a LOT...price per each handle is$100!
Please contact me directly
karkauai at yahoo dot com
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Craig Briggs

I plan to use Krylon Premium Metallic spray in Original Chrome #1010, which I've had great success with before. At 7 knots on a dark night you can't tell the difference from the original.  Made for plastic.

Craig, SN68 Sangaris

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Hi Ryan,
So far you are the only one asking for the high quality mirror chrome finish. For orders lessthan100, the chrome guy wants a LOT...price per each handle is$100!
Please contact me directly
karkauai at yahoo dot com
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

karkauai

We are still waiting to hear from Mark McGovern about using his or a friend's 3D printer to do this job....maybe in aluminum???

My printer guy says he'll forego the design fee and work up a price for the mechanism parts there are 3 different parts for each mechanism) on a per each basis if anyone wants some of those.  Please let me know.

So far I have the following people interested, black ABS plastic at $7 each for an order of 100.
Jose 5
Ryan 2
Craig 5
Bill K 14
Steve 20
Kent 15
John 10

That's 71 handles total.  If anyone else is interested, please let me know ASAP
Contact me directly at karkauai "at" yahoo "dot" com

Thanks,
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Craig Briggs

Hi Kent,
You can kick my order up to 10 if it helps get to the minimum of 100 total.
Craig

mfmcgovern@...

Kent,

I can make them for $14 out of 6061 Aluminum.  I would like to make at least 20 at that price if at all possible.  We can also have them clear anodized for an additional ~$4 each.  I have not yet received an exact quote from my anodizer but from experience it will be around that price.  Clear anodizing will impart more of a matte/satin finish to the aluminum.  Lead time to make them is 2 weeks.  Add a week if we need to anodize them.  If we do end making some of these, I will make an additional ~10 extra while we are set up so that we will have some in-stock and ready to go if anyone ever needs a few more down the road.  Attached is a rendering of the model.

My feelings will NOT be hurt if you guys prefer the cheaper 3D printed ABS option!

Mark McGovern
SM 440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Stephen Davis

Hi Kent,

I need the mechanism parts as well. As a guy with a older boat, I can tell you all that those parts do eventually start to fail.

Mahalo,

Steve Davis
S/V Aloha

On Aug 7, 2018, at 1:29 PM, karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

philipp.sollberger@...

Hi Mark,
Hi Mark,

I would like to reserve
6 handles in alluminium with the plastic black push button inclusive the mechanic plastic box in the back.

Philipp

SV Félicie, Switzerland
SM#124

karkauai

Will do Craig,
Thanks
Kent

Hi Kent,
You can kick my order up to 10 if it helps get to the minimum of 100 total.
Craig

karkauai

Do you still want 10 in the black ABS, Philipp?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy