Topics

Storage in the galley Super Maramu 2000

Elaine Leishman

Hi everyone, I am a new member and a new owner of our first yacht, Amel SM hull no. 251.

Moved onboard a few weeks ago and still unpacking and finding places for our belongings.  I am a keen cook and have quite a large pantry of what I consider essentials and having trouble organising the cupboards in the galley.  Would appreciate any input from the owners out there as to how they have gone about doing it.  The deep, top opening locker in the galley is proving to be the most difficult.  Also has anyone removed the bottle racks to gain extra storage.  Thanks in advance.
Elaine

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Gary Wells

Well,my wife would be the expert but here's what I've learned through keen observations and the occasional "honey, where do we keep the .....?"

At 5'2" she has a pretty good challenge with the deep cabinets as well.  We do own a pair of 'reaching-thingies" .. can grabber claws . that help manage that..  Mostly, the cabinets are full of seldom used things including the Soda Stream, electric kettle and vacuum sealer (only out at dock) and 'back-up" canned goods.
Our boat (#209) doesn't have a dishwasher so the extra cupboard is full of the zip-loc bags, foils, parchment, and the lesser used spices in a portable rack. the cupboard under the sink has the pressure cooker and some other nesting pots and pans.

Virtually all of the silverware and cutlery are in the two drawers under the countertop .. with the exception of the plastic and nylon stuff (spatulas, ladles, stirring spoons, tongs) which are held in "vases" in the rack above the fridge.

All our dishware is kept in the two aft cabinets, stbd side, in the salon.  It stacks nicely (all melamine) and since it's not metal can safely live close to the electronics.

All the foodstuffs basically are in the bilges, in their own bins (in case of leakage). Keeps the weight of canned goods low.

We have the two big drawers beneath the salon settee; one has mixing bowls and other 'big' vessels and the other has my "geek" stuff like the printer and scanner. The three drawers just fwd of the nav station, which I think were originally Amel's plan for dishes, are full of camera gear, extra aa, c and d cell batteries, some first aid supplies (not a full kit) and miscellaneous office supplies from sticky notes to playing cards. I'm sure everybody comes into their own plan; I know ours has evolved quite a bit as we figured out what got used most.

Nevertheless, there are still the times when my 6'2" comes in handy to reach the bottom of that deep locker for cleaning or retrieving he errant can of beets :)

Gary W.
s/v Adagio SM209
Malta

John Clark

Hi Elaine, congratulations on your new Amel.  Colleen is also 5ft and uses rubber kitchen tongs to reach items stored at the bottom of the corner galley lockers.  We have two of these as the dishwasher is located under the sink on our model.  Colleen stores pots and pans in one cabinet under the forward counter top, the other cabinet is set up as a liquor and glass storage space(is this the bottle rack you are contemplating removing?) which we so far have let as it was.  We store frequently "needed" food items like bags of chips and snacks in the cabinets over the starboard side sofa and less frequently needed items on the port side.   One owner I spoke to recently, but cannot recall who said he stores spare parts on the port side of the salon and spread food storage out to more accessible cabinets around the boat.    We store heavy items, beer, wine, soft drinks, canned food....under the floor in the salon.

One thing that took Colleen a while to wrap her mind around was that "kitchen stuff" doesn't all need to be stored in the galley as one would go in a proper house, nor does all food have to be stored in one location.  There is a ton of storage throughout the vessel and it helps to spread things out a bit to make access easier.

Oh and make a list of where you put things.   It will pay off.

                   Regards,   John Clark
SV Annie SM#37
Le Marin, Martinique

---In amelyachtowners@..., <gary@...> wrote :

[...]

Thanks Gary and John for your very detailed responses to my dilemma.  Michael and I spent the afternoon rearranging some of the lockers, cupboards and the bilges and now feel reasonably happy with the outcome.

I  realize that we will probably change things again as we spend more time aboard and figure out what needs to be accessed readily.

Looking forward to this new chaper in our lives and the experiences that follow.

Regards,
Elaine and Michael
SV Nebo No. 251

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.