Topics

Amel Pole Rigging Lines

Gary Wells

Well .. I made a big and expensive mistake when looking for some lengths of line last week.  I couldn't back out of it because even though I said "StaySet" I touched "Dyneema" and that's what they cut for me.

I think I know the answer already, but does anyone have an opinion (well .. I know that answer too :) ) on whether safety would be compromised if the Amel Poles were rigged with a non-stretching line?  I'm debating it as it seems the Poles would need some wiggle room to shift stresses, but conversely the sails themselves do a lot of shock absorption.

At any rate, I'm considering rigging the poles with 8mm Dyneema since I have a lot of it now (and it's in pretty colors) and since the original braided lines are getting pretty old.  Thoughts?

Gary W.
SM #209, "Adagio"
Malta

James

Hi Gary

In the process of buying a SM, and there is no rigging for the poles, in fact they were likely never used!

Will be keen to hear how the set up goes for you. My guess is 12mm dyneema is more than strong enough, possible oversize somewhat..

Thanks

James

SV TITANIUM - SM2k #260

Craig Briggs

Hi Gary,
Imho the boat won't know the difference as the sails and sheets take up any shock load. You don't say which Dyneema you got, but the range of stretch in the various "flavors" actually overlaps with some of the StaSet products. I don't see any problem and pretty is good :-)
Cheers,
Craig, SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <gary@...> wrote :

Well .. I made a big and expensive mistake when looking for some lengths of line last week.  I couldn't back out of it because even though I said "StaySet" I touched "Dyneema" and that's what they cut for me.

I think I know the answer already, but does anyone have an opinion (well .. I know that answer too :) ) on whether safety would be compromised if the Amel Poles were rigged with a non-stretching line?  I'm debating it as it seems the Poles would need some wiggle room to shift stresses, but conversely the sails themselves do a lot of shock absorption.

At any rate, I'm considering rigging the poles with 8mm Dyneema since I have a lot of it now (and it's in pretty colors) and since the original braided lines are getting pretty old.  Thoughts?

Gary W.
SM #209, "Adagio"
Malta

Miles

Hi Gary,

Steve is correct.  Amel used stretchy lines for good reason.  You don’t want a non-stretch line, especially for the fore-guy line.  The original lines are very stretchy.   The forward (blue) line goes from the pole around a block at the bow and back to the cleat in front of the windshield.   If (when) you are rolling down wind and a pole dips into the water, or you try to go more than 40 degrees off dead down wind, the long stretchy line will allow the pole to move back without breaking until the angle to the bow attachment become such that the line pulls the pole back against the side on the rub rail instead of out forward, rather like a big rubber band.  When this happened to me, the pole made a great bang against the side of the boat.  I was sure I had broken something, but there was no damage.  I only had to loosen the line and the pole went back to the proper positon.  This was just one more instance where I saw that Amel did everything for a reason.

Regards,

Miles  S/Y Ladybug,  sm216, Newport Harbor, RI