Topics

Run rail maintenance

smiles bernard

Hello there
I’ve returned to our older Maramu boat after a period with her ashore in the sun
The rub rails are ‘dusty’ - any rope, hand or shoe that touches them comes off with white power marks
Does anyone have any advice on how best to maintain the Amel run rails ?
Some sort of clean n seal tricks?

Many thanks in advance

Miles
Maramu #162

Alejandro Paquin

Good morning, we decided to change ours after 37 years of service, and damage also due to unintended ramming against pilings at our Marina (weather related). It is an Amel original supply, it cost in 2014 about 1200 Euros, shipped to Belgium, it fit properly and was pre cut in two sections. We installed with 1 inch screws (Fasco #8 PAN type 18-8 Stainless Steel) and discarded the original nails, because there was no practical way to attach them. We drilled small pilot holes and used a little over 100 screws. Beware the new rub rail is heavy. it weighs around 70 kg, and was shipped on a nice small pallet.
The new one looks great (finally!!)

Alex Paquin
SIMPATICO
Older Maramu #94, 1981

Duane Siegfri

I really don't like the Amel rub rail (one of my few complaints), and rubbing on a pile and you've damaged the gel coat.

So, I'm thinking of adding a rubber extrusion to the rub rail.  Mate USA sells a track you would screw into the current rub rail where the white stripe is.  Then you would press on the "Soft Insert".  I ordered a 6.5 foot section of the track (one piece) and a one-foot section of the vinyl insert for a test fit and it's a close thing whether they would fit or not.  Next time I'm somewhere for a month I plan on ordering a longer section of each to install to see how it fits around the curves.

The vinyl rubrail is ordered to length so there are no splices and it also has end sections. The track comes in 6.5foot sections.  If you want to look it up it's Item T130-141-006-2 (Rigid Track) and T130-141-007-W

I've seen several SM's with a stainless bead screwed to the Amel rub rail, but I don't like the look.

Has anyone done something else to protect the gel coated "rub rail"?

The other way of handling the dings I suppose is to just paint every few years.  The white stripe is just auto detail tape according to the fiberglass guy who did some repair work for us.

Duane
Wanderer, SM#477