[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: ZF25 Transmission Dipstick / Fluid Level

Ryan Meador

After reading these ZF transmission threads with great interest, I thought this was an Amel 54 problem, but I've also seen a few posts from folks with Super Maramus, so I went to check mine.  My transmission says HBW 250-3.0R.  According to this manual I found, the HBW 250 is the same as the ZF 25 M.  So I guess this thread does apply to me?  Except none of the numbers you're throwing around make sense -- my dipstick is almost exactly 160mm from the bottom thread on the cap to the mark.  And that manual says I should put 0.75l of fluid in, which seems crazy small and is way less than anyone else in this discussion.  I'm filled to the mark, but looking in the dipstick hole, the transmission is only about half full.  I also don't have an O-ring on the dipstick.

Have I misunderstood the part numbers and this thread actually has nothing to do with me?  Does that manual I found actually apply to my transmission?

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 11:11 PM cpp_berkeley <no_reply@...> wrote:

Dean,

Hull #69, 2007 A54 has the correct dipstick. I distinctly recall adding 2L per the manual and noticing that it was low, so I added more. No tranny troubles, but I do have that rattle in the throttle you mention.

Do you know if it's possible to replace the filter cover with the updated design? Or does the updated design more about changes to the transmission casing where the filter cover sits?

-Scott

greatketch@...

Ryan,

The zf25m is a very different beast than the zf25. The zf25m is indeed the current version of the venerable HBW250.

On the other hand, the zf25 is a significantly larger transmission that is hydraulically shifted. I doubt they share any significant parts.

Do NOT try to put 3 liters of fluid in your transmission. There isn’t room!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

James Cromie

This link shows the conversion between old model numbers and new ones.  It appears that you are correct.

James
SV Soteria SM 347.

On Jul 28, 2018, at 11:07 PM, Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi  Ryan. I've been waiting for someone to wake up to this. The gear box in Ocean pearl takes around 800mls. That is the correct amount for that gearbox. Clearly the 54 and any other with the hydrolic systems have a greater capacity.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean pearl

On 29 July 2018 at 15:07 "Ryan Meador ryan.d.meador@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

hanspeter baettig

Hi Ryan
you are absolutly right. I have the same Hurth ZF 25 M
and yes ist 0.75 - 08 l of Acf transmisson oil
and yes I do not have an oring because I have to screw in the lipstick.
I do not understand the message 3 liters of Acf Transmisson oil in the Hurth 25 transmission box ??!!
Regards
Hanspeter
SM 16, Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad gesendet