[Amel Yacht Owners] Safety deposit box in aft head of Super maramu

eric freedman

I was also locked out of my safe. It appeared that to remove the safe would  require a lot of woodwork to replace it.

I am very familiar with safes. Even though  this safe is not a TRTL-30X6 the door is quite substantial..

The secret to opening a non-burglary resistance safes is sharp drills, chisels, and a big hammer.

I drilled and hammered the safe door until I opened the safe.

I then has a new door fabricated out of shiny stainless. I has a simple key lock installed and now use a simple  key to open the safe.

The  safe that we have is intended to keep honest people honest. If someone wants this safe all they have to do is to use a sledge hammer and crow bar and take the safe home to open later.

I am quite happy with my new shiny door.

The key lock I used is similar to. https://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-latches/=1dxkk9l   Miniature keyed cam lock.

There are photos under Kimberlite in the photo section.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:14 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Safety deposit box in aft head of Super maramu

Graham, I wanted to remove our safe and could not risk the damage and left it in. The key had broken off in it, finally i was able to extract it , glue it together and gently opened the safe. I leave it ajar , because if I lock it and the key breaks ,some big thug someday will not believe that I can't open it, and will beat me to senseless , not a long road. I would feel safer without the safe in full view. I know a thief will not take the time removing it that I would and would not be too concerned about scratching my woodwork , unless of course he was an unusually considerate thief. If you figure how to remove it ,please let me know . I would rather have the storage and hide my stuff in one of the thousands of places on the boat.

Pat

SM#123

-----Original Message-----
To: amelyachtowners
Sent: Mon, Jul 30, 2018 9:02 am
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Safety deposit box in aft head of Super maramu

The lock on the safe of my 1995 SM no 140 has jammed, fortunately whilst open. My plan was just to take the whole thing out and buy a new one. However, on looking at the hole through which the box needs to be retrieved, it would appear to be some what smaller than the safe itself.

Before I waste a lot of time has any one got any practical experience of removing a safe from the rear heads on a Super Maramu, and any practical tips....like remove the front panel to all the shelving?

I await any comments,

Graham 

SM140 SULA

Hong Kong

eric freedman

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 12:01 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel Yacht Owners] Safety deposit box in aft head of Super maramu

I was also locked out of my safe. It appeared that to remove the safe would  require a lot of woodwork to replace it.

I am very familiar with safes. Even though  this safe is not a TRTL-30X6 the door is quite substantial..

The secret to opening a non-burglary resistance safes is sharp drills, chisels, and a big hammer.

I drilled and hammered the safe door until I opened the safe.

I then has a new door fabricated out of shiny stainless. I has a simple key lock installed and now use a simple  key to open the safe.

The  safe that we have is intended to keep honest people honest. If someone wants this safe all they have to do is to use a sledge hammer and crow bar and take the safe home to open later.

I am quite happy with my new shiny door.

The key lock I used is similar to. https://www.mcmaster.com/#cam-latches/=1dxkk9l   Miniature keyed cam lock.

There are photos under Kimberlite in the photo section..

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Safety deposit box in aft head of Super maramu

Graham, I wanted to remove our safe and could not risk the damage and left it in. The key had broken off in it, finally i was able to extract it , glue it together and gently opened the safe. I leave it ajar , because if I lock it and the key breaks ,some big thug someday will not believe that I can't open it, and will beat me to senseless , not a long road. I would feel safer without the safe in full view. I know a thief will not take the time removing it that I would and would not be too concerned about scratching my woodwork , unless of course he was an unusually considerate thief. If you figure how to remove it ,please let me know . I would rather have the storage and hide my stuff in one of the thousands of places on the boat.

Pat

SM#123

The lock on the safe of my 1995 SM no 140 has jammed, fortunately whilst open. My plan was just to take the whole thing out and buy a new one. However, on looking at the hole through which the box needs to be retrieved, it would appear to be some what smaller than the safe itself.

Before I waste a lot of time has any one got any practical experience of removing a safe from the rear heads on a Super Maramu, and any practical tips....like remove the front panel to all the shelving?

I await any comments,

Graham 

SM140 SULA

Hong Kong

Patrick McAneny

Pat
SM#123

I await any comments,

Graham 
SM140 SULA
Hong Kong

Alan Leslie

I would like to know how to take the safe out completely...i don't need it.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Alan Leslie

A good friend told me that to remove the safe is quite simple.
Lift up the carpet in the floor and there are two nuts, undo these, et voila, the safe is free.
The bolts however are glassed into the shelf and not so easy to remove.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437