The mistery slick

svperegrinus@yahoo.com

I would like to thank all who responded, but in particular Jeffrey Kaus and Bill Kinney and Trevor Lusty: you were in the right track.  Failed oil cooler.

However, the transmission oil cooler by www.ejbowman.co.uk came out OK....

... the problem was the Yanmar 100 HP turbo's oil cooler.  Had to get a new one for $1606 + VAT (parts only).

To test both oil coolers, they warm them up to 75°C or so and then inject compressed air.  Then they look for air bubbles.

For those with oil in the water but no smoke/engine performance issues, check this first.

Regards,

Peregrinus
SM2K Nr. 350 (2002)

greatketch@...

Great to hear that the problem was one of the less expensive possibilities!

A good lesson to remember in diagnosis:  If there is oil in the exhaust it MIGHT be coming from oil or fuel in the engine exhaust, but it also could be coming from oil leaking into the raw cooling water.

Using my best 20/20 hindsight:  Collect a sample of the raw water coming out of the anti-syphon vent.  This is water that has gone through all of the engine cooling circuit, but not yet mixed with exhaust gases.  The presence (or absence!) of oil there can be an important clue in tracking down the source of the problem.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA