Amel 54 main mast seal

Barry Connor

Can anyone in the group advise me on the procedure to replace the bottom main mast seal.

The seal at the bottom of the mast on the deck is cracking and pieces are breaking off around the edge of the mast base.

This is not happening at the bottom of the mizzen mast.

I am thinking that the mast might need to be lifted up and a new seal put in. Hoping that this is not the repair remedy and that there might be some simpler method to repair this.

Is this a common problem and part of maintenance?

Our Amel 54 is now 12 years young.

Many Thanks

Regards

Barry and Penny

S/V Lady Penelope II

Amel 54. #17

Sailing Croatia

Arno Luijten

Hi Barry and Penny,

Our A54 had the same problem as did another A54 we know of. Both were replaced in Martinique by the Amel service point in Le Marin. They use a hydraulic jack to lift the mast slightly after loosening the stays. Once they have lifted it a few centimeters they remove the remains of the old compression disc and insert a new one (made from a different material).
I'm not sure if this will help you given your location, but I'm sure the do the same exercise in La Rochelle, France. Maybe they can provide you with additional guidance on how to proceed and supply you with a new disc.

Regards,

Arno

Luna, A54

Craig Briggs

Hi Amo,
Sounds like a great solution. Can you describe how they used the hydraulic jack? That is, what lifting point or points did they use - I can only picture having the jack being placed on one side of the mast which would not give a straight-up lift.
Regards, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <arno.luijten@...> wrote :

Hi Barry and Penny,

Our A54 had the same problem as did another A54 we know of. Both were replaced in Martinique by the Amel service point in Le Marin. They use a hydraulic jack to lift the mast slightly after loosening the stays. Once they have lifted it a few centimeters they remove the remains of the old compression disc and insert a new one (made from a different material).
I'm not sure if this will help you given your location, but I'm sure the do the same exercise in La Rochelle, France. Maybe they can provide you with additional guidance on how to proceed and supply you with a new disc.

Regards,

Arno

Luna, A54

Arno Luijten

Sorry, I did not witness the process myself. They just told me what they did. I suggest you contact Amel directly to get more information on this. I'm guessing they build a yoke of some sort to transfer the forces from the jack to the mast.

Regards,
Arno

Bob Hodgins <bobh@...>

Barry,
I had my main mast pad changed in January this year in Martinique. I watched and here is what they did.

The jack system they had was specially made for the job. It was a single hand pump for the hydraulic, it was connected to two cylinders, one for each side of the mast. They placed large hard wood blocks on deck to distribute the load, on each side of the mast. The jack cylinders went on top of these blocks, and there was a custom made wood block that fit under the main winch on each side of the mast. When they pumped the jack, each side lifted exactly the same. They lifted it only about 35 or 40 cm, cleaned out the old pad and slid in the new one.

You might not want to be putting 5200 under the mast because it will be difficult to clean out with that limited space to work under the foot. On the outside of the mast might be OK.

My original pad was completely dissolved from age. I think the mast settled down that amount, and caused the rig to be loose. After installing the new pad, they tuned the rig using a tension gauge. I think they did a very good, professional job.

Bob Hodgins
Amel 54 #31
Currently in Raiatea, French Polynesia
-