[Amel Yacht Owners] Guidance on replacing Engine tray mounts

Stephen Davis

Hello James and Louise,

Congratulations on your new Amel. They are great boats, and this forum is a fantastic resource to help get you through the learning curve.

With regards to your engine mounts, I would have them changed, and re-aligned before you use the boat much. Poor alignment and worn mounts can lead to breaking the coupling, or even worse, the coupling and the shaft could break. If you can find a mechanic that has done this before on an SM, that would be ideal. It can be done by a very handy owner, but requires lifting the engine a bit, and the alignment procedure is critical. Did I mention, it is not a fun job. Usually, Olivier is listening, and he has a very detailed alignment procedure he can provide. If he does not chime in soon, I’ll find my copy of the procedure, and forward it to you.

Enjoy your new boat.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Aug 6, 2018, at 5:03 AM, jamestim@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Amel owners!

We have just purchased SM2k #260, very glad to have joined the family!

We are trying to find out information on the motor tray mounts on SM2k (Volvo). Are these Amel items or regular vets/volvo ones? Has anyone replaced them? Our survey has shown excessive vibration pointing at worn mounts causing misalignment..

Enclosed some pics of the mounts in question.

Thanks in advance!

James & Louise

S/V TITANIUM - Valencia, Spain

SM2k

James

Hi Stephen

Yes, I agree on the seriousness of the alignment.. Olivier described to me the process for alignment, but if you've got something written I appreciate that.. I listened carefully, but didn't take any notes..

My first step is to find someone who has ideally done this job before.. Worst case, I'll find a good mechanic and we can figure it out together..

Are these mounts the Vetus type?

I think I found what looks to be correct.. But if you can confirm?

Thanks again..
JAMES

James

Hi Stephen

Yes, I agree on the seriousness of the alignment.. Olivier described to me the process for alignment, but if you've got something written I appreciate that.. I listened carefully, but didn't take any notes..

My first step is to find someone who has ideally done this job before.. Worst case, I'll find a good mechanic and we can figure it out together..

Are these mounts the Vetus type?

I think I found what looks to be correct.. But if you can confirm?

Thanks again..
JAMES

karkauai

James, you may have already posted this, but what Amel model and number, and what engine do you have?

Are you repowering or just replacing the mounts?

The original mounts in my SM 243 for Volvo TMD22 were Vetus mounts rated for much lighter engines than the TMD22.  I understand this was done to lessen noise, and that because of the CDrive setup the forces on the mounts were less than in conventional drives.  If you are just replacing mounts, I would use the identical type as the ones you are replacing.  If you are repowering, I would use the mounts recommended by the new engine manufacturer to be sure the warranty is valid.

If you are replacing with identical mounts, only minor adjustments will be needed.  Using the solid disc I spoke of in my previous answer, you can get the tolerances very close.  Then replacing the disc with the flexible coupling should leave you well aligned.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM 243