SM Running Rigging

karkauai

I am replacing my running rigging prior to S Pacific cruise.  Looking at the files section, I have a couple questions:

What is the Tack Rope (10mm Kevlar, 11.5 meters)???

What line do you use for manually furling the genoa?  Diameter and length???  Is it led through blocks at the toe rail to the small cockpit winches?  It must be pretty long as it has to go from the cockpit to the furler and back, and have enough more to furl the sail.

Thanks in advance.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Ian Park

Kent
For Genoa furling just experiment. My switch needed cleaning so I sat on the foredeck with 8m of 10mm. It didn’t take long to fuel and little effort.
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Craig Briggs

Hey Kent,

What line are you calling the "Tack Rope"?
Sounds like an asym spinnaker pendant (non-Amel).

Craig

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

I am replacing my running rigging prior to S Pacific cruise.  Looking at the files section, I have a couple questions:

What is the Tack Rope (10mm Kevlar, 11.5 meters)???

What line do you use for manually furling the genoa?  Diameter and length???  Is it led through blocks at the toe rail to the small cockpit winches?  It must be pretty long as it has to go from the cockpit to the furler and back, and have enough more to furl the sail.

Thanks in advance.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Miles

Hello Kent,

The Tack Rope material is what Amel uses for the outhaul on the boom and for the main sheet car traveler.  I think that if you measure them you will find this to be the case.

For manually furling the genoa,  my boat came with a black and white line that is also used to attach to the short main halyard for lowering the main sail and to furl the genoa.  For the Genoa, the ends are tied together to make a big loop, then led around the furler to two blocks at the toe rail and back to either the power or small winch and then to a block held by a long bungee to the back big deck cleat.

I hope that this is clear enough to make sense.  If you see it on another boat, it will be clear.

I will be interested to hear how your work on the boat turns out.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216, Newport, RI

Miles

Hi Again Kent,

I don’t know the size.  It is not very big.

Are you heading south this winter or to somewhere more exciting?

Regards,

Miles

Paul Osterberg

To get the “ manual” head sail furling to work, one need an continuous line going through a block attached to a heavy duty shock cord ( must be tension on the furling line all the time else it will slip) at the stern of your boat up to the sheeve at the Genua furler I also have a low friction ring attached close to the sheve to make maximum angle that the furling line touches the sheeve .The problem is how do you attached the continuous line and there is a solution to that. Splice a loop of the core of the furling line at each end the just take a Thin dyneema core and tie it together and you have a continuous line that can be taken apart. I also use that to make my Genoa sheet longer when gybing the Genua with booth pools out, but only then to avoid to much rope in the cockpit. I have posted a few photos on how I have arranged the manual furling in the photo section
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Miles

Hi Bill,

One difference that may explain the difference is that Amel uses Kevlar line.  I think that it does not compress as much and that may be why it works well.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216 , 50 miles off Cape Ann, Mass, heading north.

Alan Leslie

When I first bought Elyse I had real issues with the outhaul line...
The previous owner had 10mm polyester installed.
I changed it to 12mm polyester as per Andersen recommendations.
That was marginally better but still slipped.
Then I changed it to 12mm Kevlar and it hasn't slipped since.

Whether 10mm Kevlar would work as well I don't know.
But as far as I am concerned 12mm Kevlar is the answer ... and it has to be TIGHT !

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 Port Vila

greatketch@...

Miles,

For any of the main outhaul, traveler or jib car control lines Kevlar, Spectra or Vectran core line is essential. Stretch is the enemy of performance in this application.

I tried 10mm OD Kelvar core line and found it insufficient for the use on the Andersen line tender drum. It consistently slipped under load. 12mm kevlar core works fine.  It doesn't surprise me since Andersen specifies that these drums are to be used only with 12 mm line.

I can only say what I found on my boat.  If 10mm OD Kevlar core line works for you, or has some advantages over the larger line that I do not understand, then do not let me talk you out of it. It is entirely possible that I missed some vital setup detail that would have made 10mm line work.

I adjust the position of the traveler and outhaul quite a bit when sailing.  Having the control line slip when trying to pull the traveler to windward is a real pain in the neck.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Alan Leslie

12 mm kevlar is it....
sans acune doubt
Thanks Bill for the confirmation
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Vila, Vanuatu

Miles

Bill,

Some boats seem to work better on 10 and some on 12.  I have been told that some of the Andersons are different.  The important factor seems to be that the line is Kevlar.

Miles