From: amelyachtowners@... [mailto:amelyachtowners@...]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 12:38 PM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Raising the waterline aft on SM

The SM original orange stripe is painted-on gelcoat.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School
http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Any opinions and conclusions expressed in this message are solely those of the author and should not be construed as representing the opinion of an expert. Manufacturers' and Expert's precautions must be taken when dealing with mechanical and/or electrical systems to ensure that you are NOT harmed, and/or the device and/or system is NOT ruined. If in doubt, do not touch any referred to mechanical and/or electrical device or system.

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 2:13 AM divanz620@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We did the same.

Just raised the antifoul up to the, in our case, red stripe. It is all paint on ours, no vinyl stripping required.

Some have laser lined it and lifted the waterline gradually from bow to stern.

We considered that, but in the end it was quicker and easier just to lift the whole waterline.

Sure its a bit high ate the bow, but so what, NO MORE SCRUBBING !!

It was well worth it

Good luck

Cheers

Alan

Elyse SM437

Port Vila

[...]

Alan Leslie

We did the same.
Just raised the antifoul up to the, in our case, red stripe. It is all paint on ours, no vinyl stripping required.
Some have laser lined it and lifted the waterline gradually from bow to stern.
We considered that, but in the end it was quicker and easier just to lift the whole waterline.
Sure its a bit high ate the bow, but so what, NO MORE SCRUBBING !!
It was well worth it
Good luck
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Vila

Hi Adam,

 We raised our antifouling ( in our case, Coppercoat) to the top of the orange stripe, thus covering it. We then left an inch of white hull above which we added a new boot line.

It took a bit of courage to raise that much and we only did so after looking endlessly at other boats. What we found  is that that there is no "only" way to define your waterline and boot top.

  Really happy we did it. It looks great. No more scrubbing the waterline and less hull to clean and polish.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302 Greece