[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: SM Running Rigging

karkauai

Thanks, Miles.  I hope you’re having a good Summer.

  I think I have a good picture of the manual furling rig in my mind.  Makes sense to use the same line as the one to drop the main sail.  Do you know if it’s 10 mm? 12mm?

The lists of SM rigging already have lines listed for the outhaul and traveler and jib car lines.  Yes, same material, but I guess 12mm may be what’s recommended now instead of 10mm.  So the “Tack Line” is listed as something different.  Still trying to guess what they’re talking about.

I’ll post pics of everything when the upfit is complete.

Hi to Carol.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Hello Kent,

The Tack Rope material is what Amel uses for the outhaul on the boom and for the main sheet car traveler.  I think that if you measure them you will find this to be the case.

For manually furling the genoa,  my boat came with a black and white line that is also used to attach to the short main halyard for lowering the main sail and to furl the genoa.  For the Genoa, the ends are tied together to make a big loop, then led around the furler to two blocks at the toe rail and back to either the power or small winch and then to a block held by a long bungee to the back big deck cleat.

I hope that this is clear enough to make sense.  If you see it on another boat, it will be clear.

I will be interested to hear how your work on the boat turns out.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216, Newport, RI

greatketch@...

On any lines working with an Andersen Line Tender you'll need to follow Andersen's insistance

and use 12 mm line. This is the mainsail outhaul line, and the mainsail traveler line.

The story is that the 10 mm line used by Amel was bigger and better than everybody else's 10 mm line.  But whatever the cause, in my experience, if you go to your local chandlery and buy 10 mm line as specified in the Amel documents, it WILL slip under load.

I installed one of these Andersen Line Tenders as part of my mizzen traveler upgrade.  (one of the best things I did to the boat!) https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/mizzen-traveler/ When I first installed it I used 10mm lines because that is what Amel documents specified for the identical application on the main traveller...  they didn't work. When I actually measured the main traveller lines, they were 12 mm OD not 10mm.  Swapping up to 12 mm line solved the issue.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

Thanks, Miles.  I hope you’re having a good Summer.

  I think I have a good picture of the manual furling rig in my mind.  Makes sense to use the same line as the one to drop the main sail.  Do you know if it’s 10 mm? 12mm?

The lists of SM rigging already have lines listed for the outhaul and traveler and jib car lines.  Yes, same material, but I guess 12mm may be what’s recommended now instead of 10mm.  So the “Tack Line” is listed as something different.  Still trying to guess what they’re talking about.

I’ll post pics of everything when the upfit is complete.

Hi to Carol.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Ryan Meador

Earlier this spring I worked up a more complete list of running rigging measurements, heavily drawn on the official list from Amel (both in English and French, as I found some vagueness to the English version). I decided the tack rope was the main traveler control line by cross-referencing the dimensions, material, and color with a line earlier in the table -- I think that section at the bottom is a summary.

I've attached my list for your reference, but I make no guarantees as to correctness.  I have replaced much of my running rigging using this info and so far it has all fit.  One of the major missing pieces is the manual genoa furling line.  It would be very interesting to get confirmation on if that can be done with the main halyard extension.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 1:16 PM Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

That's an excellent tip, Bill.  Do you know if the same logic applies to the genoa car controls?  Those things appear to be unique to Amel, but they are the same basic design as the Andersen.

Thanks,
Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., wrote :

Thanks, Miles.  I hope you’re having a good Summer.

  I think I have a good picture of the manual furling rig in my mind.  Makes sense to use the same line as the one to drop the main sail.  Do you know if it’s 10 mm? 12mm?

The lists of SM rigging already have lines listed for the outhaul and traveler and jib car lines.  Yes, same material, but I guess 12mm may be what’s recommended now instead of 10mm.  So the “Tack Line” is listed as something different.  Still trying to guess what they’re talking about.

I’ll post pics of everything when the upfit is complete.

Hi to Carol.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill.

I like your mizzen traveler set up. I wish it would move from my nice to have list. Trouble is all on the must have list gets priority.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean pearl

On 09 August 2018 at 03:11 "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Ryan,

The logic applies, in that the line size needs to match the drive wheel.  My genoa car control lines are 10mm. The line drives have an Amel logo on them, so I assume they are a custom design. The 10 mm lines seem to work well.  Occasionally they slip under very high loads, but that seems to do with needing tension adjustment rather than being the wrong size.  If anyone has used larger line in this application and been happy with the result, I'd love to hear it.

These control lines need to be very tight, and very low stretch, to work.  As the sheet loads up, it pushes the car back toward the line drive.  If there is ANY slack, the line unloads from the drive wheel and  the car then "adjusts itself" aft.

I have had no reason to change from 10mm at this time.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA