Anchoring in deep water in the S Pacific.

karkauai

Wow, guess I’ve got to devise a good way to add rode to my 300 ft of chain.  Is 250 ft of 1 inch rode on 300 ft of chain enough? That’s less than 6:1.  There was some discussion a while back, but still not comfortable with the transition from chain to rope.  I guess hooking with the snubber line, disconnecting the chain from the locker, pulling it up on deck and shackling it to the rope is about all one can do.  Sounds like a hassle.

Is the bottom in most places amenable to a ROCNA anchor?
I have a big Fortress and a Mantus as spare anchors, but have never used them.

Does anyone have a good way to mount a spare anchor on the rail?

Have you (or anyone else) used two anchors in tandem?  The ROCNA has a place to shackle a chain to the neck, but it would be difficult to get to, and even harder to retrieve. I guess a line with a float attached to the second anchor could be retrieved with a boat hook and hauled aboard with a halyard.  My back is already complaining about hauling it aboard by hand.

Any and all advice, experiences that taught you something, hints, etc greatly appreciated!

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

Hi Kent,

the question was not to me but I have fond memories of time there (Raiatea). I spent a lot of time anchored in 27 meters (90 ft).

Kind Rgards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Alan Leslie

Hi Kent

In French Polynesia its often hard to find anywhere to anchor less than 30m deep. We have never had a problem with our 30kg WASI anchor and 100m of Aqua Maggi 4 10mm chain. 3:1 was our general rule. In other island groups anchoring can be less challenging.
The bottom can be anything from mud, sand, broken coral. The up side is that generally the wind comes constantly from the SE so as long as you're lined up into wind and have a good hold on something, you should stay there.
You really need all chain in the Pacific. Rope will chafe on coral and eventually let go. Chain will occasionally wrap itself round coral heads, which is a real PITA but it doesn't break.
We have a second anchor in the forward starboard locker but have never used it.
We have a Fortress anchor in the lazarette for a stern anchor which we have used a few times to keep the boat lined up in difficult anchorages.
The idea of putting two anchors on the same rode one behind the other doesn't get much support from the reading I've done...I've never tried it.

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Havannah, Vanuatu

Miles

Hi David,

For freeing the anchor, I have a short strong line with a loop at one end and a chain hook at the other.  When the chain is almost up and down and I feel resistance, I attach the chain hook, put the loop over the cleat, and signal the person at the helm to go into reverse.  When the anchor is free, I use the windlass again.  This saves the hassle of replacing bent keys in the windless.

Regards,

Miles

s/y Ladybug, sm216, at anchor, Boothbay Harbor, Maine