[Amel Yacht Owners] Steering Rack Adjustment

Eric Freedman

Stephen Davis

Hi Eric,

Thanks for checking. Interesting about the nylocks. It must be one of the many changes Amel made over time, as I have what appear original cap nuts with lock washers on the front side. I think I’ll add a bit of locktite as well.

Aloha,

Steve

On Aug 12, 2018, at 05:49, eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,
I just examined mine. The racks are held in place with studs and nylocks.
The racks are solid with no wiggle room.
Fair Winds,
Eric
Sm 376 kimberlite

On Sun, Aug 12, 2018 at 11:05 AM, flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

We are just finishing up with final adjustments after replacing our steering racks, pinion, and steering cables, and have a question about how tight the racks should be. The racks are held together by 2 threaded studs with 2 cap nuts facing the galley. Should these 2 cap nuts be tightened enough so the racks do not move at all, or be a bit looser which allows the racks to scissor back an forth a little? I can't find anything written about this, and I'd appreciate it if some of you could look at your steering racks and let me know if they are a little loose, or if you are unable to move them. My vote is for very tight with no movement, but would like to know how they are adjusted on some other boats.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Davis
Aloha SM 72
Ko Olina, Hawaii