Lenght of anchorchain?SM2000

Arthur Sundqvist

You experienced sailors of the Pacific and Carribian. How long is your anchorchain??? Do you use a swivel?
Fair winds
Arthur
Vista. SM 435

Skickat från min iPhone

Alan Leslie

We have 100m of Maggi Aqua 4 chain and 200m of rope.
We have only had to use the rope twice and that was in 30+ knots in French Polynesia.
We would prefer not to use the rope if at all possible.
When I bought the new chain in 2014 and I saw what space it occupied in the chain locker, I realised that i could have bought 130m + ...and i will next time
Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437
Vanuatu.

rossirossix4

Related to recent discussions on this....an informative article on chain vs chain and rope in deeper anchoring.  BTW gotta love Steve Dashew -- 3/8" 10mm chain and a 110kg 250lb Rocna--anyway--  https://www.petersmith.net.nz/boat-anchors/catenary.php

Bob and Suzanne, SM 429 KAIMI
Currently Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat, France

Alan Leslie

YES Bob very good...but i doubt we could carry an anchor that size !!
However, I do remember many years ago Steve saying if people joke about the large size of your anchor, you've probably got it about right...at that time we had a very small boat, BUT we had the biggest anchor that would fit, and we never dragged.
We have dragged only once with Elyse and that was , I am sure, due to a not so good anchorage, rocky bottom, and a serious wind change, that sent us loose towards a reef...thanks to the Furuno anchor alarm, we managed to move after only a minor contact with the reef
AND we had about 4:1 scope on all chain with a nylon snubber in about 25 knots

But it was the bottom holding that was the issue...not scope, not the anchor..

Every situation is different ....you have to work it out for your self...

Cheers
Alan
Elyse Sm437

[...]

greatketch@...

Arthur,

We do use a swivel... but not for the reasons that most people do.

With a proper anchor roller and gypsy we have never found twisting of chain to be a significant issue.  Especially in deep water, once the anchor is off the bottom, there is a lot of time for the twist to work its way out as the anchor comes up.  Other people have had more trouble with twist--and some think a swivel helps, others do not...

We use the Mantus Swivel (Mantus Anchor Website) only because its design gives us a stronger connection between the chain and anchor than you can get with a standard shackle.

In general I am not a fan of swivels, they can be a serious weak point in the overall system, but these I have enough confidence in to actually use.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA