[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Helm Seat

Pat,

You know what I am going to say...yada, yada, don't change it because...yada, yada.

But, FYI, Judy and I sat in that seat in a cyclone in the middle of the IO. It is perfect! Don't change it.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Pat,

The concern I’d have about sitting in a typical pedestal seat is not rough seas, but rather heeling. There are many very comfortable helm seat built for high end motor yachts, but they all assume that the boat is basically flat. I have not yet seen a pedestal seat I’d want to sit in when heeled at 15 degrees.

The other issue around a pedestal is structural. The deck in that area might need strengthening to support a single point of attachment of a pedestal. Note for example, the way the nav station seat pedestal is built into the boat.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Patrick McAneny

Bill, I would install a metal backing plate under the deck , so structurally I am not too concerned. It is that the tube is sleeved (allowing for height adjustment)and attachment points under the seat may combine to allow a degree of movement that concerns me. My seat now only has a slight curvature built in for adjusting to heel ,you may have the same seat. The chair I am looking at has side bolsters that mimics that somewhat. Since we are generally on auto pilot , I could swivel the seat seat towards windward and have a 15 degree recline,might be pretty comfortable while still be able to monitor gauges. My main concern is that it may look a bit big and movement,that would bother me.
Thanks,
Pat
SM123

The concern I’d have about sitting in a typical pedestal seat is not rough seas, but rather heeling. There are many very comfortable helm seat built for high end motor yachts, but they all assume that the boat is basically flat. I have not yet seen a pedestal seat I’d want to sit in when heeled at 15 degrees.

The other issue around a pedestal is structural. The deck in that area might need strengthening to support a single point of attachment of a pedestal. Note for example, the way the nav station seat pedestal is built into the boat.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Patrick McAneny

Bill, Yea, I knew what you would say. In fact, Diane and I were kidding this morning ,that you would yell at me when you came aboard in St. Michaels. I said I might as well put it out there now, and face the music. I figure at least from this distance ,you can't hit me. Your boat was newer and had a better seat than we have, and no doubt more comfortable. I know its a departure ,but also would be unquestionably much more comfortable. I am still debating and would like to hear from people that have such a seat.
Mea Culpa,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

All I am saying is, until you experience the security of that helm seat design in heavy conditions, I believe you would not change it. I believe that after you experience those conditions, your understanding of the design will change.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 8:38 AM Patrick Mcaneny sailw32@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, That is why I posted my question, and stated that my main concern is that it would be a stable seat. While I know it would be more comfortable 100% of the time ,I am concerned about the stability in that .01% of time when conditions are at its worse. I would not want any sense of movement in a helm seat.
Thanks,
Pat
SM123