Topics

Watermaker and transmission fluid

Mark Isaac

Hi Bill,

Yes, I assumed he was abbreviating Dextron ATF and that Dextron II was replaced with the more modern formulations of III and then IV.  As you know the ZF manual has an extensive list of which brands of fluid are acceptable....I could find none of them, so just used a name brand, "Dex IV" fluid.  I'm probably fine with that, but if ZF has an updated list, I wanted to check what I used against the new list.  Now on to that dipstick issue...

Mark Isaac
SM 391, Lulu
South Freeport, Maine

Alan Leslie

When I look in my manual (thanks to others!) there is a whole page of approved fluids, and the only common theme is ATF
So my guess is that any ATF will do, after all we don't subject our transmissions to anything like the stresses that the automotive guys do, mostly we're puddling along at 2000 rpm, no rapid accelerations or decelerations ...?
Alan
Elyse SM437
Port Sandwich, waiting for the wind to die down