[Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152 [1 Attachment]

John Clark

Hi Porter, that was the size the previous owners used.  Changed annually(according to the logs) for the 16 yrs they owned the vessel.  The racor I have is rated for gallons per minute, not sure the number but much more than our sailboat engines will ever consume.

The filter on the motor(s) looked very old from the outside and were also 2 micron.  I don't think they were changed like the racor.  The inside of the motor filters looked clean and new.

           John

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 1:39 PM Porter McRoberts portermcroberts@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Porter McRoberts included below]

For how long John?

I am thinking a double double racor would be the way to go.
What’s the internal rail diameter on these engines? Should not the last filter be smaller that the rail?

New long block in as we speak.

Thank you everyone for all the help.

Porter
Ibis A54-110
Panama City

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 24, 2018, at 8:14 AM, John Clark john.biohead@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi All,
   with our TAMD22 we ran a 2 micon Racor without issue.

                  John
SV Annie SM #37
Le Marin

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 4:42 AM Rudolf Waldispuehl Rudolf@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Thomas and Bill
Good points. I’m still learning to handle a modern Diesel Engine.

Maybe it is better to go for 1-2 micron Racor filter instead of the recommended 10 micron in order to filter out as much as possible. Or does the Engine suffer from the reduced flow rate?

Cheers
Ruedi
Ruedi & Sabina Waldispuehl
"SY WASABIAmel 54. #55
Korfu

Von: <amelyachtowners@...> on behalf of "'S/V Garulfo' svgarulfo@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Antworten an: <amelyachtowners@...>
Datum: Mittwoch, 22. August 2018 um 21:24
An: <amelyachtowners@...>
Betreff: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Long block failure on a Volvo D3-110 Amel 54-152

That’s a great article, Bill, thanks for sharing.

It’s good to see Nigel opening the debate about what needs to happen to adress the issues of modern engines in marine environments. It seems to point towards fuel quality. The corollary being inadaquate onboard filtering.
I wonder what it means for fuel additives and their adequacy for our problems. Naively I would think that any product that dissolves contaminants simply makes them smaller so potentially riskier for high pressure common rail injectors (ie pass through filters but still too big for injectors)?

Another topic is the established advice that a diesel engine enjoys being run at 80%, and failing that, at least push it hard from time to time. How much of this is still relevant to modern engines with better fuel efficiency (so less residue at low regime I presume) and variable geometry turbos?

I don’t have the first clue about those questions but i would like to understand what bits of the marine diesel knowledge base apply to our modern engines.

Best,

Thomas
soon back onboard
GARULFO
A54-122
Curaçao

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 04:07, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

There was a good article on the worrisome trend in the design of small marine diesels in Yachting Monthly last year.

I am beginning to wonder if we have almost seen the end of diesels that reliably run for more than 10,000 hours.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA