[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster rebuild on a SM

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Graham,

During the bow thruster overhauled I did, twice I did not put the 30 x 42 x 8 oil seal properly and the 90 weight oil slowly leaked from the tuffnol shaft. So had to put a new one.

For info, since May 2016, Amel is suggesting using a 29 x 42 x 8 Oil Seal, but force will be required to push it in.
So this might be your solution.

Here is the complete overhaul:
http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_overhaul.html

Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow thruster rebuild on a SM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, September 2, 2018, 4:21 AM

Replaced the underwater seal on the
plastic shaft (on which the bow thruster prop is mounted)
and very quickly the oil was leaking out. I suspect this
shaft has become so worn the standard seal is now too
big.
1 Anyone tried just using a
"tighter seal?
2 Any advice on a complete
rebuild of the whole unit/ getting the parts from Amel? This
is my preferred option.
Graham Sula SM140Hong
Kong