[Amel Yacht Owners] What are the todo’s before and after haulot of a SM2K

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

If you are leaving the boat on the hard for a while here is a list you may want to think about:

Sea Water Valves
1.     Close all sea water valves. There are two in the engine room.
2.     Put a little vegetable oil in the valves and work them.  Make sure
         you run the engines for at least 1 hour before running the water
         maker when you return.  No oil should be introduced to water maker.
Salt Water Removal
  1.   Run the engine and Generator for 5 minutes with fresh water.
  2.   Run the air conditioners with fresh water for 5 minutes.
  3.   Flush the Toilets with fresh water from the engine room.
  4.   Run Fresh water through the anchor washClean bilge

Bilge
1.     Clean bilge
2.     Test the bilge pump
3.     Test the bilge pump alarm.

Watermaker
  1.   Back flush the water maker membranes.
  2.   Pickle if required.  (or - Find someone to back-flush every week for 10 minutes)

Electrical
1.    Turn off all the 24V equipment not to be used.
2.    Turn off fresh water pump.
3.    Circuit breakers in wet locker to be off.
4.    Check current to see if charging or discharging the batteries
5.    Turn off inverter
6.    Bow Thruster locked
7.    Clean out refrigerators

On Deck
1.    Loosen Halyards.
2.    Put on Covers as required.
3.    Outboard put away and run with fresh water until all gas is burned out of the carburetor.
4.    Turn off gas bottle valve in trunk.
5.    Take down flags as required
6.    Lock and remove engine key.
7.    Lock all storage lockers.  (From inside Aquarius)
8.    Shut and lock windows/hatches as required. (anywhere water can get in?)
Last - Lock cockpit door.

Leaving Aquarius on a mooring ball, or at anchor (Not Recommended)
1.   Close the valves to water tight doors.
2.   Close water tight doors.

Leaving Aquarius for more than a few weeks:

1.     Try to have an air conditioner (or De-Humidifier) running if in a humid climate.
2.     Have someone trust worthy to watch over Aquarius.
     a.     Membranes must be flushed every week for 10 minutes.
     b.     Check engine room for any leaks or something wrong.
     c.      Should check the battery level in the morning before 9AM, if below 25V
              at anytime, contact owner.

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 11:13 AM, "olaf_renos@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hello AMELians,

In two weeks my SM2K will be haul out. For me it is the first time of a haul out with a SM2K.
What would you suggest to do before and (directly) after haul out?

That’s my current list:

Before haul out
-          Empty the black water tanks and fill up with 0.5 Ltr vegetable oil. Open and close shortly the valves.

After haulout
-          Flush the Main engine, the generator and the AC’s with fresh water.

What else?

Thanks so much in advance.

Fair winds
Olaf

S/V Sayonara II, SM2K 392
currently in Martinique

Olaf Bauer MIA-AMARA at Yahoo <olaf_renos@...>

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for your list.

Appreciate is very 😊

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 11:13 AM, "olaf_renos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hello AMELians,

In two weeks my SM2K will be haul out. For me it is the first time of a haul out with a SM2K.

What would you suggest to do before and (directly) after haul out?

That’s my current list:

Before haul out

-          Empty the black water tanks and fill up with 0.5 Ltr vegetable oil. Open and close shortly the valves.

After haulout

-          Flush the Main engine, the generator and the AC’s with fresh water.

What else?

Thanks so much in advance.

Fair winds

Olaf

S/V Sayonara II, SM2K 392

currently in Martinique

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

Olaf,

Hope the list helps you, and all others that own SM's.  We all want every SM maintained well, as it will make them all worth more in the future!!!

Check out our youtube channel "Sailing Aquarius Around the World".  We have a Super Maramu tour, and Choosing Boat Batteries, and next Thursday we will release  the day to day maintenance aboard Aquarius video.

If you would like our lists, let me know... info@sailingaquarius do t co m

Best,

Ken Powers
SM2K #262
Currently in Tahaa in the Society Islands

On Monday, September 3, 2018 1:46 PM, "'Olaf Bauer MIA-AMARA at Yahoo' olaf_renos@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for your list.

Appreciate is very 😊

[...]

eric freedman

Ken Powers <sailingaquarius@...>

The blue line was connected where JP, the previous owner, taught me.  I'm no expert, but JP owned Aquarius since new, and did as I was told.  :)

On Friday, September 7, 2018 1:29 PM, "eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" wrote:

Hi Ken,
I was looking at your trip into Santa Marta.
I noticed in your video that you have the foreguy to the pole (blue) connected to a forward cleat. Is there some reason that you do not run it through a block at the rail and aft to a cleat in front of the dodger?
Fair Winds,
eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

On Fri, Sep 07, 2018 at 04:13 PM, Ken Powers sailingaquarius@... [amelyachtowners] wrote:

[...]

I did it the same way on my previous AMEL, a Santorin. For me it was one good reason to do so: nothing is in the way hen you have to go around on the front deck.

On Friday, September 7, 2018 1:29 PM, "eric kimberlite@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

[...]

On Monday, September 3, 2018 1:46 PM, "'Olaf Bauer MIA-AMARA at Yahoo' olaf_renos@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks so much for your list.

Appreciate is very

[...]

Hello Eric,

The same when the blue line is running over the fore cleat. Did that many times on my Santorin as a single handed sailor. Very easy and could be handed by one person.