Topics

Santorin Manuals?

Derek Smith

Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

I am hoping to purchase a Santorin in the future and was wondering if there was any owners manuals available online that I could download.

Thanks

Derek

Derek,
I could be mistaken, but I don't think there was a manual for the Santorin. There was a sales brochure that Attilio on Sisila posted and you should be able to google. It has no technical information.
Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <haggismuncheruk@...> wrote :

Hello,

Thanks for allowing me to join your group.

I am hoping to purchase a Santorin in the future and was wondering if there was any owners manuals available online that I could download.

Thanks

Derek

Ian Park

Derek
Congratulations on your Santorin hunt. A very fine boat. I don’t believe there was ever a Santorin manual. I had a downloaded version of the SM manual which I found invaluable.. you just ignore the sections that the Santorin doesn’t have (dishwasher, washing machine, generator, dessalator etc.) I believe (but willing to be corrected) that most other parts were the same as the SM - sail gearboxes and motors, windlass, bow thruster, C drive, rotary autopilot, ballooner poles and setup and many other things. If true then the Santorin is very well over engineered, which is a great plus.
Anyway, there are one or two original Amel Santorin plans on the Yahoo site which are worth downloading.
Otherwise, there are quite a few of us ‘smaller sisters’ on the Amel owners site always ready with support.
For my part, if you are planning ocean passages - try and acquire the ketch. I never had a ketch before, but very glad I have one now. Extremely versatile for short handed sailing.
The Santorin is the biggest boat I have owned and is a dream to manoeuvre in and out of a tight space.
Good luck.

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

PS where are you based - we’ve just brought the boat back home to North Wales from the Caribbean. Sounds like you are UK.

from my iPhone

Derek Smith

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info, so without a Genny onboard how do you find the battery bank holds up, do you have solar and wind fitted to keep them up or do you run the engine to charge the batteries.

I am indeed UK based, like yourself I too am a Scotsman thats moved south and I am currently based in East Anglia.

Best regards

Del

---In amelyachtowners@..., <parkianj@...> wrote :

[...]

I don’t have a wind generator

Ian Park

Del
Pressed the wrong button! I don't have a wind generator on this boat, found them a bit noisy and also needed maintenance. On Ocean Hobo 8 have 200w of solar panel mounted on the aft side rails. They swivel to face the sun, or lie vertical against the rails while sailing.
The Santorin has a prop shaft alternator, so once your sailing at over 5 knots the batteries stay fully charged. I have four 100ah AGMs and a separate starter battery.
In UK I leave the fridge on and the solar panels keep the batteries at 100% while anchored. In the tropics the fridge works much harder and at anchor and the batteries were down to 75% in three days. I have a 2000w portable generator which connects straight to the shore power plug and charge through my battery charger, whilst also giving me hot water and mains power if I wanted it. It doesn't get used too often. A genset fitted would cost 5 or 6 times the price of the portable one.
I do have a watermaker fitted, and that is a great asset if you're living aboard for several months. The HP pump on mine is engine driven rather than electric, so no 12v power needed there.

Anything else you need to know, just ask

Good hunting

Ian