Interior wood quality

james Hosford

Sorry if this is obvious, or already been discussed.

How is the interior wood quality in the 54 compared to the sm? Im pretty sure no laminates are used in the sm and the quality is top notch, but wondered if Amel has retained that quality through the newer models. The current models 50/54/64. Look like they may use laminates on the doors but i could be wrong. Those will be out of my price range any way.

Paul Stascavage

Kent,

I am curious. What interior wood have you found to be plywood with laminate.

All the best,

Paul

SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
Currently Cruising New England

Paul Stascavage

Thanks Kent and thank you to you as well Alan. I don't know why, but for some reason I thought everything was solid Mahogany.

Looking more closely at the hand holds it is evident that the bulk heads are not.

I learn so much being a part of this forum, but this is one piece of information I almost wish I missed.

All the best,

Paul
SM #466
S/V Rita Kathryn
Cruising New England

Miles

Hi Paul,

I hope all is well with you.  Regarding the wood,  I watched Amel making the interior in my boat.  The plywood is made from many thin layers with very strong adhesive.   It is much stronger than any piece of solid wood.  Look at the many layers in the curved piece over the bulkhead openings.  Amel said that this makes the bulkhead as strong or more than it would be with no doorway cut out of it.   Back then, Amel bought big logs (tree trunks) each year in Senegal, brought the logs (tree trunks) to La Rochelle, and let them sit for a number of years before working the wood.    You have nothing to be unhappy about.

What are your plans for the winter?

Regards,

Miles, s/y Ladybug, sm216, Newport, RI