[Amel Yacht Owners] Isotemp Basic with double engine water coils

Mark,

I was going to do exactly that, but the wrong water heater was shipped and I replaced the water heater with 1 circuit. I would recommend that any SM, 54, 55, etc owner replacing the water heater use the 2 circuit model designed to accept coolant from two seperate engines.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 6:51 AM mark_pitt@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I am planning to replace my 15 year old Isotemp Basic 40 liter hot water heater with a new Basic 40 that has two engine water coils.  The intent is to connect the Onan cooling circuit to the second coil in the Basic hot water heater.  Has anyone done this?  Are there some issues I need to be aware of?  In particular, I am concerned whether the coolant pump on the Onan can deal with the longer hose runs and extra coolant.  Nothing has come up in a Google search.

Thanks.

Mark Pitt

Sabbatical III, SM#419

Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Craig Briggs

Then again you may be sure Amel sized the Generator to match the load and by changing the original Amel design to a water heater with two engine water loops the generator will not be loaded optimally.

As Bill Rouse says, don't try to second guess the original Amel design.

As Nigel Calder says, generators are usually quite under-loaded making them inefficient and prone to excess wear.

Cheers,
Craig Briggs, SN68

Mark Pitt

Thanks to all those who commented on this.  I will be going ahead and will let you know how it works out.