Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] run away windlass

Chuck_Kim_Joy

I will in the future and should have in the past carried a knife to cut away the halyard if a runaway situation presents itself. I was just up the mast using windless recently. I know you go up manually Duane. This is good info. Thx

On Sat, Sep 22, 2018 at 12:00 PM sailor63109@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

I was raising the anchor today and the windlass continued to pull chain after I let go of the button.  To turn the windlass off, I had to turn the off breaker (marked Jib/Windlass) in the fwd cabin.  The Windlass ON/OFF switch in the forward cabin did not turn the windlass off.  If I turn the breaker ON the Windlass runs no matter the position of the On/Off switch.

Using a continuity check, it appears the buttons on the windlass are operating normally.

I thought that perhaps the switch at the helm was the issue, but after I disconnected all the wires to that Up/Down switch the windlass ran unless the breaker was turned off.

I removed and tested the On/Off switch in the fwd cabin and it appears to be operating normally.  It turns off both legs of the DC Circuit and there was no continuity from positive wire to positive wire with the switch Off, but there was continuity with the switch On.

I would truly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Duane

greatketch@...

We added breakers to interrupt the power to the motors for the windlass, and jib furler and, more recently, an emergency stop system for the sheet winches for this reason.

The previous owners of Harmonie had the same problem happen with a jib sheet winch--relay contacts welded themselves shut and no way to stop it without cutting the power to the whole boat.  (On older SM's--like ours--the control box for the port side winch is way up high, inside the cockpit locker.)

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

karkauai

Hi Bill,
That’s probably a good idea, do you have pics of the installations and the parts/sources you used?

I know there’s been discussion in the past about adding a fuse/breaker/interrupt switch for the bow thruster.  Did you do that while you were at it?  If not, what was your thought process about it?

Thanks
Kent

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Sep 23, 2018, at 7:03 PM, greatketch@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

We added breakers to interrupt the power to the motors for the windlass, and jib furler and, more recently, an emergency stop system for the sheet winches for this reason.

The previous owners of Harmonie had the same problem happen with a jib sheet winch--relay contacts welded themselves shut and no way to stop it without cutting the power to the whole boat.  (On older SM's--like ours--the control box for the port side winch is way up high, inside the cockpit locker.)

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

greatketch@...

Kent,

There is a write up of the wiring work I did on the windlass here:  https://fetchinketch.net/boat-projects/windlass-wiring/  I haven't written up the changes I made to the sheet winch wiring yet, but it is on my to-do list :-)

The previous owner of Harmonie protected the bow thruster wiring by putting 125 amp terminal fuses on each of the four 24V battery positive terminals.  When I upgraded the battery bank, the new batteries were just a tiny bit higher, and the terminal fuses no longer fit under the cover.

I replaced them with a single 500 amp fuse in the main battery wire before the shut down switches.  That would blow before the cables to the windlass or the engine room melted down from a short somewhere.

There is no power supply switch on the thruster, other than the main power switch.  Not a perfect solution, but I'll live with it.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

---In amelyachtowners@..., <karkauai@...> wrote :

[...]

Thanks for the link to your forepeak wiring changes.  That's now on my ever-increasing list of things to do.  I will also put a breaker or fuse in the power line to the bow thruster.  I'm interested to see your setup.
See you soon at the Rendezvous.