Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Unexplained Explosion On Board

Ian,

Normally, this situation indicates a possible ground fault. It is common that water heating elements in water heaters, dishwashers and washer/dryers will develop tiny cracks and cause a ground fault when running. I would guess that the entire earth a/k/a "220VAC "ground" could have been momentarily energized when the fault happened, causing an electrical arc at the salon A/C unit whether running or not and regardless of whether the breaker was ON.

Add checking polarity to your troubleshooting checklist. Unfortunately wrong polarity is NOT unheard of in Greece.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Ian Shepherd sv_freespirit@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Whilst connected to shore power I ran the washing machine including a
drying cycle. During the drying phase, both the shore power and the 220V
breaker above the galley tripped. The washing machine had a filter
warning showing.

Having reset the shore power breaker I then reset the 220V breaker above
the galley. There was quite a loud explosion that seemed to come from
the forward port side of the salon and the galley breaker tripped again.
Trouble shooting has drawn a blank. All a/c units are working as are the
two under seat freezers, though being 24V they would have not been the
cause. Having tripped the washing machine breaker the 220V galley
breaker stayed set, and the washing machine now works again normally.

I cannot think of any AC equipment in that area of the salon other than
the a/c unit, but anyway it was switched off at the breaker at the time.
It is a worry to have not identified the cause of the problem. I will of
course clean the washing machine filter.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or a suggestion as to what caused
this explosion?

Ian Shepherd SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Ian,
I once had a Capacitor exploding (on the dishwasher).
In my cause it was due to excessive voltage (from my Onan).
Sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Unexplained Explosion On Board
To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: Wednesday, September 26, 2018, 8:59 AM

[...]

Ian Shepherd

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I have had a good look around this morning and have inspected the salon a/c unit and the washing machine. No signs of arcing or blown capacitors. The washing machine filter had a small piece of flint stone in it. Everything seems to be working normally now, so I guess there may have been a momentary polarity reversal. At the time I recall that the two marina staff that came to restore the supply box breakers were crouched over the open panel. Maybe they did something simultaneously with the supply that caused a surge or reversal.

If something recurs I will let you know.

Ian SM2K 414 Crusader Leros Greece

To: "amelyachtowners@..."