Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

luvkante

Your clutch is broken

Martin
AMEL54 #149 „CHIARA“

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 05.10.2018 um 11:03 schrieb kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hello fellow Amel owners,

I just moored my boat in the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong and how to repair is very much welcome.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning William,

When it happened to me (same thing: propeller still on bow thruster - but no movement and screaming sound) it was the bearing inside the foot that were worn out.
Here are pictures: http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

You will need from Amel Part 1110 (Mecanism Pied de Propulseur SM) the price varies a lot if you purchase it from Martinique (977 Euro) or La Rochelle (582 Euro)
scroll down to 1110 to see the part:
http://www.nikimat.com/spare_parts_bow_thruster.html

NOTE: Make sure you order with the Tufnol shaft and not the bearing by themselves as the size of that shaft has changed (look at the last picture on: http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_lost_propeller.html )

NOTE 2: when you receive the 1110 - the small open space to receive the key on the small gear will have to be machined a little as it is not thick enough.
If you look at the 2nd picture on http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html
You will see where the key goes has not be machine as much as on the old gear.
You have a good view on picture 6.

Wood luck, sincerely, Alexandre

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore
To: amelyachtowners@...
Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel
owners,
I just moored my boat in
the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the
bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming
noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost
without any resistance.
Any idea what can be wrong
and how to repair is very much
welcome.
Best
regards,
Willem
Kroes
SM #351
KAVANGA

Willem Kroes

Good afternoon Alexandre,

Thank you so much for your advice and explanation.

I noticed that in your case the bearings in the foot were worn out. But is it also possible that the problem can be with the connection between the shaft and the electric motor? It seems the ‘screaming noise’ is coming from the top, because it is so loud.

Kind regards,

Willem

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel
owners,
I just moored my boat in
the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the
bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming
noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost
without any resistance.
Any idea what can be wrong
and how to repair is very much
welcome.
Best
regards,
Willem
Kroes
SM #351
KAVANGA

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Hello Willem,

Yes it is possible.
Back then, I took pictures (which you saw at the bottom of the 1st link) and show them on the forum and people were unanimous (in my case) the spines were fine.

In my case, was the gears. I hope it is the same for you (and not the connection between the shaft and electric motor).

Sincerely, Alexandre

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

)

NOTE 2: when you receive the 1110 - the small open space to
receive the key on the small gear will have to be machined a
little as it is not thick enough.

If you look at the 2nd picture on
http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

You will see where the key goes has not be machine as much
as on the old gear.

You have a good view on picture 6.

Wood luck, sincerely, Alexandre

On Fri, 10/5/18, kavanga@...
[amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>
wrote:

Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Suddenly screaming noise from
the bowthruster and not moving the prop anymore

To: amelyachtowners@...

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel

owners,

I just moored my boat in

the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the

bow thruster did not function anymore and made a
screaming

noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost

without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong

and how to repair is very much

welcome.

Best

regards,

Willem

Kroes

SM #351

KAVANGA

Willem Kroes

Hello Martin,

Thanks for your fast reaction. The SM does not have a clutch like the 54. It's either the top- gears or the gears on he foot that failed. I will see what's wrong after the haul out next week.

Best regards,

Willem

SM #351 KAVANGA

Op 5 okt. 2018 11:20 schreef "Martin K luvkante@... [amelyachtowners]" :

Your clutch is broken

Martin
AMEL54 #149 „CHIARA“

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 05.10.2018 um 11:03 schrieb kavanga@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...>:

Hello fellow Amel owners,

I just moored my boat in the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong and how to repair is very much welcome.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Willem Kroes

Hello Alexandre,

I am now fort wo weeks on the hard in Cartagena. I ordered the kit for the lower part of the bow thruster and this was installed. Apart from the small change to the key, the end cap did not fit (the holes for the screws have different distances compared to the old end cap. So the original was installed.

After installation I feel a little uncertainty because I can move the prop by hand with the power on the gear off. Is this normal? This because in this way I have to move the electric motor also by hand.

As scheduled I will go into the water tomorrow, but I want to avoid to be hauled immediately again.

Kind regards,

Willem

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel
owners,
I just moored my boat in
the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the
bow thruster did not function anymore and made a screaming
noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost
without any resistance.
Any idea what can be wrong
and how to repair is very much
welcome.
Best
regards,
Willem
Kroes
SM #351
KAVANGA

Ian Park

Mine also turns by hand on the Santorin. Maybe it’s a sign that previously the bearings wear binding quite tightly?
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Good morning Wileem,

I just read this morning your message to Bill regarding the fact you can move the propeller by hand.

I don’t remember if it is normal, I’d would want to say no, but could be wrong, I hope other can confirm.

Strange the cap did not match the holes… did you rotate it 90 degree to see if it match better? The new one I received matched.
In my case, I had the gear re-machined instead of the key.
(I am a little disappointed Amel did not corrected that error, as I mentioned it 1.5 year ago).

Personally I would wait other people reply (Olivier?) about normal or not about moving the bow thruster propeller by hand.
If “not normal”, then could the splines on the shaft or electric motor be worn out?
These are the last 2 pictures on http://www.nikimat.com/bow_thruster_spin.html

Good luck… sincerely, Alexandre

To: "amelyachtowners@..." <amelyachtowners@...>

Van: amelyachtowners@...
<amelyachtowners@...>

Date: Friday, October 5, 2018, 4:03 AM

Hello fellow Amel

owners,

I just moored my boat in

the El Portet Marina in DENIA, Spain and almost done, the

bow thruster did not function anymore and made a
screaming

noise. The prop is still there but it can turn almost

without any resistance.

Any idea what can be wrong

and how to repair is very much

welcome.

Best

regards,

Willem

Kroes

SM #351

KAVANGA

Stephen Davis

When everything is correct, it should turn by hand fairly easily. What you do not want is the propeller to wobble on the shaft, which would mean the bearings inside are bad.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Hawaii

On Nov 1, 2018, at 05:51, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mine also turns by hand on the Santorin. Maybe it’s a sign that previously the bearings wear binding quite tightly?
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

There are 2 pins that must be installed to keep the gear from turning on the propeller axel.

I am traveling today. I will try to upload a drawing later today.

Alex on Nikimat had exactly this issue when he rebuilt the lower unit. I think the gear is shipped from Amel without the holes for the pins in the gear wheel.

More later when I get home.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus
Amel School www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 12:34 Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

Mine also turns by hand on the Santorin. Maybe it’s a sign that previously the bearings wear binding quite tightly?
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Yes,

It should turn easily by hand and turn the motor. I thought he was saying that the propeller was turning, but NOT the vertical shaft or motor.

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018, 16:37 Stephen Davis flyboyscd@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@... wrote:

When everything is correct, it should turn by hand fairly easily. What you do not want is the propeller to wobble on the shaft, which would mean the bearings inside are bad.

Regards,

Steve Davis
Aloha SM72
Hawaii

On Nov 1, 2018, at 05:51, Ian Park parkianj@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Mine also turns by hand on the Santorin. Maybe it’s a sign that previously the bearings wear binding quite tightly?
Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Willem Kroes

Thanks you all for the information. In about two hours my boat will swim again and we will see if the bow thruster works again. Anyway I have now a little more confidence knowing that it is normal to move the prop connected to the motor without power by hand.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Op 2 nov. 2018 05:44 schreef "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" :

[...]

Good luck to you.
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Admiral, Texas Navy
Commander Emeritus

Amel School  http://www.amelschool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Op 2 nov. 2018 05:44 schreef "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

Hi Amelia be,

The bow thruster worked very well.  Thanks to all of you. My boat is now in the marina of the Real Club de Regattas in Cartagena.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Op 2 nov. 2018 16:59 schreef "Bill Rouse brouse@... [amelyachtowners]" :

[...]